Delta and BoA pull funding for production of Shakespeare's "Julius Caesar" with Trump-like character

Don’t joke like that, you’ll get investigated like Kathy Griffin or this student in small-town Minnesota:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/05/19/minnesota-yearbook-behead-trump.html

3 Likes

When an honest man speaks, he says only what he believes to be true; and for the liar, it is correspondingly indispensable that he considers his statements to be false. For the bullshitter, however, all these bets are off: he is neither on the side of the true nor on the side of the false. His eye is not on the facts at all, as the eyes of the honest man and of the liar are, except insofar as they may be pertinent to his interest in getting away with what he says. He does not care whether the things he says describe reality correctly. He just picks them out, or makes them up, to suit his purpose.

– Harry Frankfurt “On Bullshit” (1986)

9 Likes

Joking that i want to see Shakespeare? Bring it Justice system.

3 Likes

Caesar also had no problem with all the ‘giant penis’ graffiti that was splooshed all over Rome. Trump would have felt… insecure. Yet another important difference!

:smiling_imp:

6 Likes

Saved Western Civilization from an abundance of Gauls?

5 Likes

One of my favorite parts of the HBO series Rome was how they realistically depicted Roman naughty graffiti.
On the DVD extras, they threw in translations for them onscreen.

9 Likes

Delta supported a production where Obama was Caesar in 2012.

10 Likes

Yep. King Lear is really the way to go on this one. Leader is losing his sh*t, his kids are fighting for the spoils of his empire…

8 Likes

I’m happy they did justice to what was essentially the ‘blogging’ of the Roman republic.

3 Likes

As we learned here (correctly) when Milo Yianwhoever lost his book deal and Brendan Eich lost his job, it’s not censorship when the marketplace refuses to support your views with money.

1 Like

Captain (slave master): “This one is not bad. He’s a Gaul.
Lentulus Batiatus: “I don’t like Gauls. Hairy.”

(From ‘Spartacus’; 1960)

3 Likes

It wasn’t obvious from my post, but I was referring to all of the people calling for the play to be shut down, not Delta and BoA’s pullout from funding it.

As for Milo, well…

3 Likes

Politics aside, I just despise people who try to “modernize” Shakespeare. I’ll allow West Side Story, but only because Bernstein is on Shakespeare’s level. But, guys, Julius was a real person. He wore a frekin toga, with a red snuggie over it. Not a Brooks suit. Not a football uniform. Not a tutu.

Still not as bad as Godspell. Nothing is as bad as Godspell.

3 Likes

"At last, the gods remove cock from fucking ass! The House of Batiatus―no, the House of Quintus Lentulus Batiatus rises to the fucking heavens!"

John Hannah was capable of turning Latinglish profanity into an art-form. On par with Ian McShane’s iambic pentameter cursing in Deadwood

2 Likes

Ian McKellan’s Richard III was a pretty fun adaption. Kurosawa’s Samurai Shakespeare are top class films (except maybe his Hamlet, “The Bad Sleep Well” which was done in modern time)

I would love to see how someone can modernize Henry V. The story is entirely wedded to its historical context.

3 Likes

I just loved Kenneth Branagh’s Henry when it first came out, but I remember a review that claimed the longbows (which are not in the play) completely undercut Shakespeare’s intention. I can kind of see it.

2 Likes

Nobody is quoted in the post here on BB, nor in the article to which it links, to the effect that the government should shut down this play, and anyone who advocated that would be wrong (and BTW a dickwad) to do so.

Howver, people have the right to complain about stuff that offends them. Businesses have the right to respond as they see fit, and of course other people have the right to complain about that.

I’m not Disappointed In BoingBoing about the dearth of understanding of the principle “sauce for the goose, sauce for the gander” 'cos there must be an expectation that something exists in order to be disappointed in its absence.

How do you make a King Lear?

Put his daughter in a bikini.

4 Likes

Interestingly enough the TV documentary series Battlefield Detectives episode on Agincourt jives with the Branagh version. Where overcrowding in heavy armor, narrow terrain and mud was the main cause of the French defeat. It undermined Shakespeare, but was more historically accurate.

1 Like

Maybe if they changed the color of Caesar’s tie?

2 Likes