Delta asks flight attendants not to tell each other if they test positive for coronavirus

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/10/delta-asks-employees-not-to-te.html

3 Likes

This flight is going down.

18 Likes

Who knew that Delta’s slogan Keep Climbing referred to the temperature of its cabin crews?

20 Likes

Tell them to assume that everyone is positive, so that they’ll be more careful. (And the floor is lava.)

9 Likes

Kept hearing the expression ‘delta sucks’. Seems it may be true.

7 Likes

They don’t want to endanger their bailout money.

8 Likes

Oh, Delta… Like I need one more reason to not fly on your airline. But you keep doing you!

10 Likes

Can’t have people adding coronavirus to the reasons NOT TO FLY right now can we?

Stay away from airplanes people.

24 Likes

It’s not like you need all your FAs right now, why in the world are you letting the exposed fly?

10 Likes

This feels like a pretty clear case that could go to high courts. But then again, I’m always surprised and interested when PopeHat ( https://twitter.com/Popehat?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author ) breaks down why things would or wouldn’t make good court cases.

3 Likes

“Employees have freedom of speech about their health… No employer can take that away."

Except we’ve seen time and again that employers can fire employees for pretty much any reason, including things posted on social media.

14 Likes

…said one flight attendant, who spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of being fired

Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose…

in before someone points out that freedom of speech (in the US Constitution) doesn’t apply to employers. That changes nothing: the FA is right that no employer can take away your freedom of speech. The most they can do is take away your job for exorcising it.

7 Likes

As set down in the landmark Supreme Court case “Joplin v. McGee”

24 Likes

Oh no, and I had collected so many skymiles…

3 Likes

“And for god’s sake don’t tell the passengers!!”

10 Likes

Delta is like Trump in February…in denial.

5 Likes

HR needs YOU to help preserve information asymmetry!

9 Likes

I hope Delta is on the short list of airlines to go belly-up soon. It won’t be soon enough.

3 Likes

My school also tried this with teachers. They couched it in data privacy for student language, but it was clear they wanted us not to talk about ourselves and our families. It’s different, since we are distance learning, but they sort of tried to scold me before we were officially distance learning because I told students my kid was sick, had been exposed to a positive person at work, and had been tested. I figured they deserved to know why I wasn’t there the day they were picking up their materials, and why I hadn’t yet graded the work they’d left in my classroom. My kid’s test result was negative, but it took 6 days to get results, by which time the building was shut down.

14 Likes

I think it was Adelaide airport a few weeks ago where a baggage handler tested positive for covid. It generated a flurry of contact tracing through baggage records and the infected individuals were of course quarantined.

2 Likes