Demonic child screams and runs through an 8 hour flight from Germany to Newark

An ex-colleague emigrated from the UK to Australia with her husband and two babes in arms. That’s something like 24hrs of flying. They were given a Ninja Parent Award by the cabin crew for their kids being well behaved throughout the trip.

6 Likes

It may have solved nothing, but engaging the parents of this child is a justifiable strategy. It seems like people would rather put up with the screaming than face the possibility of confrontation. It wouldn’t make it any more bearable, but the possible information that the child had real developmental problems might have made for less resentment of both him and the parents, and otherwise, a little social shaming might have made mom more proactive, assuming there was anything she could do about it.

6 Likes

Um. Sure, that behaviour was rough. But this Shane Townley character is a grown ass adult. He should know better than to publicly shame a 3 year old, then have the gall to profit from it.

Obscure the kid’s face, ya jerk.

5 Likes

I am not a dualist, so gender binaries are not particularly meaningful or comprehensible to me.

That being said, I’ll call anyone whatever they want to be called, unless they are just trying to be obnoxious, in which case I’ll call them obnoxious. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I traveled to Europe and back a few years ago with a 10yo and an 11yo. It was a total of 7 flights, 4 of them over 10 hours, with no layovers. The only melt down we had - which to be fair was staggeringly awful - was on the ground and only impacted us.

Edit: I’m pretty sure it was due to over-tiredness, coupled with the stress (both personal and an expression of the cumulative family stress) of prepping to travel back home. I won the World’s Worst Parent Award™ that night :frowning:

4 Likes

Is that so obviously a bad plan? It’s a consult-your-doctor sort of plan, for legal reasons if nothing else; but in the annals of pitifully futile responses to anxiety benzos at least have the distinction of working.

1 Like

Appalling, utterly appalling video and comments here. No way there is enough information in this sensationalist video to know enough as to why the child is behaving like that. Potentially special needs / medical issue?

And even if we ARE clear on that - why the calling a damn THREE YEAR OLD CHILD a demon??? Did it not ever cross your mind to make such awful statements against his parents and not the toddler???

4 Likes

Have you not read this thread noob?

Nearly all the comments here are: “This kid seems autistic” or “These parents are doing a real bad job being parents.”

8 Likes

Aw, I hate this kind of thinking. If someone chooses to become violent because you exercised your 1st amendment rights, they are the ones escalating a situation. Peacefully expressing an opinion is not “escalation” and this sort of phrasing is kind of victim blamey.

That being said, it’s not productive to curse at or yell at parents like this, but if I politely say “Hey, can you please control your child, he is being very loud and invading my personal space” and the dad hulks out, they can deal with the police on landing. (And possibly an ambulance if they think it’s a good idea to hit a happy mutant who had their fill of bullies in high school)

5 Likes

I am ETERNALLY grateful

Can’t say the obverse holds true.

2 Likes

What’s a noob? Is that a type of nut?

Yeah, it’s a real tough call. Very situational. I would talk it over with a flight attendant, actually, see what their official role is in dealing with an underage disturbance. I wouldn’t act out on my own unless the kid did something physical to me or my family on the flight.

3 Likes

You’re a noob, a newbie. You joined less than half an hour ago just to complain on one thread instead of engage with the community. You’ve made an odd first impression. I hope you’ll stick around and be a member in our discussions.

12 Likes

Jumping on the bulkhead in front of you certainly qualifies IMHO :slight_smile:

LOL, I’d still get the flight attendant. I’d call him or her, and have them talk it over with my whole row and form a plan. Way better to have the whole crew on your side.

It’s us or you, kid, what’s it gonna be? LOL.

KIDS ON A MOTHERFUCKIN PLANE

6 Likes

So people who join are only allowed to complain about something that upsets them after they have served some time. OK. How much time?

I live overseas and have flown overseas frequently with my child starting when she was a few months old. There is a LOT a PARENT (don’t only blame the mom) can do when a child misbehaves on a plane! As my mother told me, “Don’t make me take you to the ladies’ room!” I came equipped with a heavy bag of toys, books, and good to keep her occupied. Also, kids should fly in a five-point harness car seat to keep them contained and safer. Pacifiers are great too; they help with ear problems.

Where were the flight attendants? He should have never been allowed to climb over seats. This is as much the airline’s fault as the mother’s.

7 Likes

Enough time that you get a feel for the site and its commenters and style before you jump in on a hobbyhorse issue that came across your news feed. It’s only polite.

Or at the very least don’t make your first-ever post a YELLING!!! condemnation of the site’s authors and commentariat. That earns you as much respect here as first-time posters who are spammers or Russian trollies.

9 Likes

Donald Trump age four.

3 Likes