Denver voters repeal pit bull ban

I’m starting to see this article screenshotted on some other forums and communities I frequent across the internet - every single time it’s all about the cow.

6 Likes

It’s weird to see this argument raging here about whether pit bulls are dangerous or not.

An old girlfriend of mine has multiple pits and they are all sweethearts. The majority of the pits I’ve met in my lifetime were friendly, whereas I’ve been attacked and bitten by breeds most people think of as harmless lapdogs. German shepherds, Rottweilers, Dobermans, all these are at least as dangerous at pits, and are the ones usually trained as attack dogs. How you raise them and train them is at least 90% of the issue.

6 Likes

If the animal in that picture isn’t a cow then it’s the weirdest looking pitbull I’ve ever seen LOL
Also, good job Denver!! Pitbulls have an undeserved bad rep. They’re lovey AF.

2 Likes

Bazinga! Based on this look, he either loves me or is trying to decide which part of me to eat first after I go to sleep. with cats you never can tell.

5 Likes

Just gonna put my painting here of the sweetest Pitty I think I’ve ever met.

6 Likes

e-7508b64db8

9 Likes
4 Likes

Whatever your personal beliefs on the danger of specific dog breeds, I think we might all agree that, like other nigh-ubiquitous dangerous things humans own and interact with on a regular basis, like cars and guns, dogs should be licensed and registered, and the owners should not only be required to go through an extensive training course, they should have to purchase liability insurance in case their dangerous possession causes damages to someone else or their property.

I know what you’re thinking: hey, we don’t universally require gun owners to be trained, or insured against damage. Pretty stupid, huh?

6 Likes

Most evil dog I ever met was a Chihuahua, not a Pit Bull. Damned little thing was aggressive and hyperactive at all times, I hated that dog. I was but a small boy, though, and my grandfather loved that mean little bastard. Chimpy he called him. Chimpy? My grampy was a weird old man, no doubt.

But yeah, like others have said, Pit Bulls are no more aggressive than any other breed when brought up right. If you’re scared of them because of what they were bred for, you should be scared of German Shepherds, and Boxers, and any of the hunting dog breeds. But I don’t see folks going on and on about the dangers of Irish Wolfhounds. Pits got a bad rep because folks used them for fighting, training them specifically to be aggressive, and because of the usual racism shit where some people associate something with blacks and, therefore, it’s instantly evil. See: Reagan and blacks owning guns the moment he saw a photo of blacks with guns.

Now me, I’ve got an awesome Golden Retriever by the name of Cooper. Dumb as a fence post, talks like Doug from the movie Up, nothing but elbows and love. I’m happy with that, and he thinks cats taste too “sharp” (but we have two of those as well).

2 Likes

They (and all dogs, are equipped to inflict damage, some are better equipped than others) and if you surprise one, upset it, or appear to endanger a trusted person all dogs can sometimes react out of character.

Same can be said about humans…

2 Likes

Absolutely, but I can ask before I scratch them behind the ears.

Oh, I always do the back palm in front of the nose of any new aquaintance… humans seem to take as though I was asking them to kiss the ring for some reason :thinking:

3 Likes

Your grace! :kissing: Who’s a good boy, who is it?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.