Denver voters repeal pit bull ban

Then your problem is a bad neighbor. Training animals to attack is animal abuse.

WTH kind of charity trains attack animals?

7 Likes

Care to share that data? And maybe an explanation how the data for the ban was cherry-picked.

These dogs did not just evolve naturally, they were bred for certain traits. I don’t doubt that one could raise most of them to become friendly dogs, but some people deliberately raise them to be aggressive, and I would assume (from my personal experience with dog owners) the majority of owners is neither good nor bad, just clueless, so the result is more or less random. Which is a risk, because these dogs are pretty strong.

In some European countries you need a permit for the kinds of dogs that are typically bred for fighting. That is better than a ban, and also better than nothing at all.

4 Likes

Chows are an “aggressive” dog breed, but I’ve never seen calls to ban them, probably because they are appealing to wealthier owners. A blanket ban on a breed is a quick fix for people who don’t want to deal with the complexity of why humans want to own dogs in the first place. As a sentient being, a dog takes on complex social roles for the human they bond with. When a human is downtrodden in society through any number of avenues, for mental illness, poverty, etc… the dog may express violence as the only reasonable means of reacting to forces beyond they or their human’s control. This is not a way of suggesting absolution for the violence, it is a framing that allows us to delve deeper into the real factors that we can change if we are invested in this controversy.

Personally I think we should ban all dogs. They are very inconvenient for me because they poop everywhere and I don’t like seeing it. Check out my petition on change.org

3 Likes

6 Likes

3 Likes

https://www.trektoday.com/content/2020/01/stewart-why-picard-has-a-dog/

2 Likes

It’ll have “service dog” papers. Means you can take it into the grocery store-- and if anybody complains-- unleash the hound!

2 Likes

That sounds like just being an asshole with extra steps.

6 Likes

This is not a dog…
Nor is it a cow in response to others…
It’s a young bull…assumimg he’s still got his penis.
A female is a cow/heifer and a male is a bull/steer. A bull isn’t a cow.

But most importantly, it’s not a bloody dog.
Dear lordy.

2 : a domestic bovine animal regardless of sex or age

7 Likes

I think you mean testicles?

6 Likes

right?
I mean never made no steer by cuttin’ his dick off!

2 Likes

Wasn’t the original Pete from the Little Rascals a pit bull?

I’ve always understood that while some breeds have different characteristics like protection, hunting, or herding, and that disposition has an impact on behavior, it’s how the animal was raised and socialized that to a large extent determines how it acts and reacts. But I’m a cat person, so what do I know …

5 Likes

That’s definitely a bull terrier, dunno which type.

Pit bulls were bred for strong necks and jaws as they were originally fighting dogs, mostly bull baiting, which is where the name comes from. Almost all dogs come from working backgrounds, yorkshire terriers were bred to hunt rats in the wool milling factories, jack russels for fox hunting, and so on, so many dogs were selected for specific behaviours, how they interact with people and other animals is primarily nurture, pretty much like with cats honestly.

1 Like

“Young pit bull on a meadow on a foggy morning”

That is a picture of a young cow, not pitbull or any type of dog. How did you make that mistake?

1 Like

No need for a lab mix. They can breed them that way naturally.

3 Likes

Came for the good pitty news, staying for the bUt ThATs A CoW.

Another resource re: bully breeds:

5 Likes

Uhhh… They don’t cut off bull dicks. They might castrate it, but that is removing the testicles.

3 Likes

What does Pit Bull milk taste like?

I know what you don’t know:

The love of an animal.

Thank you, I’ll be here all week. Tip your servers!

4 Likes