Derek Chauvin Trial Thread

It seems like there are so many different trials happening in one… For the family especially, and for so many of us, justice for the murder of George Floyd. For the lawyers and judge, it centers around the specific charges—is this specific ex-officer guilty of the specific crimes charged, in terms of only the specific evidence allowed into the courtroom. For the public, a trial of white supremacy, the U.S. justice system, the police, and more.

In Minneapolis, we’re expecting that there will be violence whichever way the jury decides.

[minor edit for syntax]

6 Likes

seems minneapolis has police violence on the regular. trial or no trial. though maybe if he’s convicted it might finally send a message that they need to rein it in

i can’t really even imagine what it must be like for the people who witnessed his murder.

the defense seems to be pushing this idea that they’re to blame for floyd’s death - like at anytime chauvin could have moved his foot two inches, and he really wanted to, but he was stuck fast because the bystanders - including the nine year old child - were just so unhinged and angry

it makes me angry for them. trauma on top of trauma

13 Likes

giphy

17 Likes

Lazarus had to be some kind of moving violation.

4 Likes

Improper handling of human remains.

9 Likes

Stay safe :heart:

13 Likes

the minneapolis star tribune is running a daily summary of the trial. they are running it outside their paywall system so one can go back to it daily if desired. scroll to the bottom to start with jury selection and motion hearings.

12 Likes
11 Likes

Ugh, this is so horrible to witness.

A person’s past drug use really has no direct relationship as to why someone killed them by kneeling on their neck and preventing them from breathing.

20 Likes

The defense wants the jury to believe the victim was super high at the time of death. They’re working overtime to imply traces of metabolites in his blood means his murderer’s knee on his neck didn’t kill him.

17 Likes

“We conclude that victim was not killed by the suspect, but by interference from a bullet that worked its way into his heart.”

17 Likes

i mean everybody knows that drugs give (black) men superhuman strength. it’s a wonder that chauvin survived

oh wait. i mean floyd was so fragile because of the drugs he would have died anyway.

gosh it’s all so complicated

22 Likes
14 Likes

Not trial news, but I wanted to share, and I think this is the best place for it: https://twitter.com/amaditalks/status/1380238176971849729

8 Likes

Sciency take on the “drug-crazed Negro” defense being employed here.

The claim that drugs killed George Floyd relies on a racist trope - Vox

8 Likes

I wouldn’t normally link to this site, but it’s good to see that even the National Review can see how murderous the treatment of George Floyd was.

14 Likes

Chauvin’s attorney Eric Nelson moved for a mistrial, objecting, among other things, to Waters’s statements, which he argued had the effect of “threatening and intimidating the jury. He added that the “pervasive” media coverage that the trial has received also could have influenced the 12 jurors — and two alternates — who will decide whether Chauvin is guilty of Floyd’s death.

are you kidding me season 7 GIF by Chicago Fire

15 Likes

Nothing yet, but here is the live feed via PBS…

6 Likes

21 Likes

Well, that was quick. Chauvin verdict to be read within the next 90 minutes. Fast jury decisions like this are usually good news for the People. Fingers fucking crossed.

ETA: Less than 24 hours. No questions for the judge. No requests to review evidence. My prediction is Chauvin is toast.

ETA2:

14 Likes