Derek Chauvin Trial Thread

Chauvin verdict in 15 minutes.

(Jinx @ficuswhisperer!)

11 Likes

I can’t watch.

12 Likes

Yeah, ditto. I’m in “silently screaming” mode.

10 Likes

my gut says it’s way too soon for a hung jury. my prediction after closing arguments was either second degree manslaughter or a hung jury. i tend to think that the lowest count will be the winner but as fast as they came to a verdict makes me hopeful, not optimistic but hopeful, that he may be convicted of a higher count.

12 Likes

I would imagine with a high level of certainty that he knew it didn’t have a chance of hell of actually working, but it’s the kind of thing that they basically have to try just to say they did. IOW, typical lawyer bullshit.

8 Likes

still waiting :grimacing:

9 Likes

Listening to my local NPR station, now. I think they just said it’s supposed to be between 4:30 and 5, but I don’t know if that’s EST or Central time.

8 Likes
21 Likes

That’s Eastern Time, because it was supposed to be 3:30-4:00pm Central Time.

8 Likes

dOJt6XZlQw8qQ

So say we all indeed.

12 Likes

40 years. Consequences!

12 Likes

Derp… they are reading them now, going through the jurors… guilty on all counts…

Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

19 Likes

The BARE MINIMUM required, but as long as this is merely the base and we build from here, I’ll take it.

13 Likes

This feels like a Festivus Miracle!

12 Likes

At fucking last.

Good riddance to him. Now for everyone else.

11 Likes

“Up to” 40 years.

Sentencing will be around June 15, I just heard on local Mpls news.

8 Likes

This is implied, but:

12 Likes

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/live-blog/awaiting-verdict-for-derek-chauvin-in-the-death-of-george-floyd

Up to 75.

The charges are to be considered separate, so Chauvin could be convicted of all, some or none of them. If convicted, Chauvin could face up to 40 years in prison for second-degree murder, up to 25 years for third-degree murder and up to 10 years for second-degree manslaughter.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/20/us/derek-chauvin-trial-george-floyd-deliberations/index.html

6 Likes

One hundred sixty three years for a single instance of accountability.

17 Likes

Good. :slight_smile:

Now, let justice be done for other victims of police violence, too!

11 Likes