Derogatory euphemisms for female body parts

It’s a fitting insult for politicians who spew out verbal diarrhea.

5 Likes

My partner and I have settled on both of the four letter C words in the bedroom context, but in any other context, yeah not so fucking much.

I feel that so much of the problem is that we lack decent non-problematic terms. Largely because every term we come up with we then get all squicky about because we’re so immature and/or repressed about our sexuality.

And even though she directed a run of The Vagina Monologues back in the day, she’s even less enthusiastic about using either of the V-words in bed than I am. We also both feel that the P-word brings along certain, ahem, youthful connotations that can feel a bit weird, even if it does get used occasionally.

I dunno, maybe we should take up the British tradition and move over to the F-word instead.

4 Likes

At this point I know so many F-words, I’m not sure which one is supposed to be the most or least objectionable.

7 Likes

Huh. I heard adults say, “What in the bloody blue blazes…” many times as a kid. :woman_shrugging:t4:

8 Likes

Suppsedly from Eric Idle’s Liverdance

The Pussy Song

Isn’t it awfully nice to have a pussy?
Isn’t it fightfully good to have a clit?
It’s swell to have a snapper
It’s divine to own a snatch
From the thinnest little beaver
To the world’s biggest thatch.

So three cheers for your pewter or vagina
Hooray for your golden pouch of God
Your camel-toe, your bearded clown
Your luter or your twat
You can shave it into shapes
Or you can wear it like a hat
But don’t let a man come near it, of that’s the end of that
They won’t come back.

Thankyee all…

2 Likes

Good lord, that’s a tome that could probably be summed up thusly?

10 Likes

Sigh. Here goes. I use it to help reclaim the word. My understanding is that it only began to be seen as derogatory when used by/spoken aloud by men. I think it’s just as good a word as ‘quim’. I never use it to refer to vulvas. I’m more likely to call someone ‘mate’ if I don’t like them or what they’re saying. I only ever find its use objectionable when used by men to refer to women. Believe me, we can tell when it’s being used by a misogynist man.

I don’t feel like further justifying my vocab right now but may have more to say later. And @codinghorror it seems like there’s a lot of things you don’t and probably will never understand.

3 Likes

How is dick punching up?

It depends on who you call dick. Typically it’s used on privileged people (in current society sadly having a dick already grants a lot of privilege, especially if it’s a white dick). It’s also used on people who use their privilege to harm others, so for example politicians (who typically are white males), bosses who treat workers badly, entitled jerks who insult workers at stores and restaurants, etc. So it’s typically reserved for people who exhibit dickish behavior.
Even when you use it against some random drunkard who behaves like a dick, that drunkard probably still has a lot of privilege compared to his wife and children, whom he probably abuses.
People seen as weak are not typically called ‘dick’ - society has other insults for them.

4 Likes

If you drop to your knees first?

8 Likes

I think this statement is true of every human, but OK :+1:

I was more interested in why certain words (in the same language, technically) in one culture can be “ah just a little good-natured joshing” and in others “grounds for HR intervention and/or dismissal from your job”. That’s… a big … difference.

I especially noticed it in “The Boys” and the other David Brent spin off show (I forget the name of it, but it just had a second season, the one where he works at a local newspaper), and it was really distracting in the latter because it’s set in the UK and everyone says it constantly, whereas “The Boys” is set in the USA with only the one UK character who says it.

6 Likes

That character is supposed to have a military background, too. I’m having a hard time imagining someone in the service getting in trouble for that among colleagues.

5 Likes

from THE BALD-HEADED HERMIT AND THE ARTICHOKE: An Erotic Thesaurus (1999)

Vagina

• see Genitalia (Female), Labia, Clitoris
  • Many of these terms are derogatory, often deriving from male fear and/or ignorance.

ace, alley, alpha and omega, altar of love, anchory thatch, apple, artichoke, article, Aunt Annie, axe wound, bacon sandwich,

• Artichoke: a poetic metaphor for vagina, referring to that plant’s leaves, and the sensuous pleasure of peeling and eating the flesh beneath them.

bag, bag of tricks, bank, barge, bazoo, bearded leisure centre, beaver, beefbox, beehive, berk (Berkshire hunt), best, best part, bit, bite, black box, black hole, black joke, black ring, blind alley, blind entrance, blind eye, blurt, boat, bob and hit, booty, bottomless pit, box, bull’s eye, bumshop, bun, butcher’s window, buttonhole, cake, camel toes, can, canyon, carnal trap, case, cat, cat with its throat cut, cave, cellar, central cut, Charlie, chasm, chimney, chopped liver, chuff, circle, clabby, cladge, cleft, clodge, cock, cock-alley, cock-holder, coffee shop, coinslot, cono, cooch, cookie, coot, cooze, coozle, crack, cranny, crease,

• Cooch: 20th-century American term; derived from hootchykootchy, a playful erotic dance.
  • Cunt: highly vulgar term, still in use, from the Middle English count(e), which derived from the Germanic Kunton.

crevice, cunnicle, cunny, cunt, cylinder, damp, dark meat, dead end street, den, dicky do, diddle, Diddly pout, ditch, divine scar, dormouse, down there, drain, everlasting wound, fadge, fan,

Eastern (Indian/Tibetan) terms for the vagina are often gentle and poetic: enchanted garden, full moon, great jewel, lotus blossom, m.o.i.s.t cave, pearl, ripe peach, valley of joy.

fanny, fanoir, fig, fillet o’ fish, finger pie, fireplace, fish, fish city, fish mitten, fishpond, flange, flesh wallet, fleshy part, fluff, flytrap, fork, fornicator’s hall, front bum, front door, front garden, fuckhole, fud, fur, fur chalice, furburger, furrow, furry hoop, furry letterbox, furry mongoose, futy, futz, fuzzburger, fuzzy cup, G (goodies), G-spot, gap, gape, garden, garden of Eden,

• Gasp and grunt, grumble and grunt, sharp and blunt: rhyme with cunt.

gash, gasp and grunt, gee, gib teenuck, ginch, gloryhole, golden doughnut, greasebox, gristle mutt, groceries, groin, grotto, growl (er), grumble and grunt, grunt, gulf, gully, gulfyhole, gutted hamster, gutter, gym/gymnasium, hair pie, hairy pipi, hairy wheel, hairy whizzer, hanging basket, harbour of hope, hatch, heaven, hee, hefty clefty, hell, ho cake, hole, hole of holes, Holiday Inn, home sweet home, honeypot, hoop, horse collar, hot meat, hot pussy, hotel, house under the hill, housewife,

• House under the hill: refers to the abode found below the hill, or mons pubis.

Irish fortune, it, Jack and Danny, jam, jam donut, jambag, jampot, janey, jellybag, jellybox, jellyroll, Jenny, jewel, jing-jang, Joe Hunt, oxy, joy trail, kebab wallet, kennel, kettle, kipper trench, Idtchen, kitty, kittycat, knish, knocker pie, ladder, ling, little Mary, little sister, lock, lodge, lover’s lane, lucky bag, lunch box, Maggie’s pie, magpie’s nest, manhole, mantrap, map of Tazzy/Tasmania, masterpiece, maw, meat, Mickey Mouse, middle-cut, minge, mink,

• Mickey Mouse: the Disney Corporation is likely displeased with this 20th-century American usage for vagina.

money box, monkey, moot, mouse, mouse’s ear, muffin, mutton, nappy dugout, nasty, nasty gash, nest, nether end, nether mouth, niche, nodder, nooker, nooky, notch, nursery, old thing, Olympic pool, open C, open charms, oracle, orgasm chasm,

• Open C: historically, vulgar slang words were often referred to by their first letters only - in this case, Cfor cunt.

orifice, oven, P, P-maker, padlock, pancake, papaya, passage, passion pit, peehole, PEEP, penocha, pie, pink, pink care,

• PEEP: Perfectly elegant eating pussy.

pink eye, pink palace in the Black Forest, pipe, pit, pit hole, pit mouth, pit of darkness, placket, pocket, poes, poke hole, pole hole, pond, poodong, poon, poontang, pooz, poozle, portal of Venus, pouter, power “U”, premises, prime cut, puddin, pulpit, pulse, punani, purse, puss, pussy, pussycat, quic, quiff, quim,

• Puss: originally an English affectionate term for a woman, but pussy came to have a more sexual (genital) meaning by the mid-ijth-century.
  • Quiff: may be derived from the Italian cuffia (coif) referring first to hair, then possibly pubic hair.

quim nuts, quiver, rag box, rattlesnake, receiving set, red lane, ring, rocket socket, rose, rosebud, rubyfruit, rufus, rump, safe, saltcellar, salmon sandwich, scat, second hole from the back of the neck,

• See You Next Tuesday: first letters suggest spelling of cunt

see you next Tuesday, sex, sharp and blunt, skin chimney, slice of life, slit, slot, sluice, smoo, snag, snapper, snapping puss, snapping turtle, snatch, snippet, south pole, southerner, spadger, split, split apricot, split beaver, squack, stank, stench, stink, stinkpot, sugar basin, tail, target, Texas snapping turtle, that there, till, toolbox, toot toot, treasury, trench, trim, trout, tube, tuna, twat, twim, twot, vacuum, vag, velvet underground,

-Twat: vulgar English term from the ljth century, origin unknown.

Venus’ glove, vertical smile, vicious circle, Virginia, wallet, where the monkey sleeps, where uncle doodle goes, white meat, woo-woo, wound, Y (the), yoni, you know where, yum yum

• Wound, slash, and slit: rather nasty, male-invented modern terms for vagina.
  • Yoni: a sacred sanskrit term suggesting the great womb of creation.
5 Likes

There’s a good chance it was a blasphemous reference to “God’s Blood” much as “Zounds” was “God’s Wounds.”

1 Like

Another possible origin of “bloody” is that it’s a contraction of “By Our Lady”. In T.H. White’s book, The Once And Future King, one of young Arthur’s teachers is prone to using “By Our Lady” as a swear.

“Cor-blimey” apparently comes from “God blind me”.

5 Likes

alien_keyboard_yoni

5 Likes

In other words, they’re all pretty salty for a time and place that was much more pious than we are today.

1 Like

this blog post was made for such a thread as this–

3 Likes

This really shows how much language evolves. I can think of several that were either overlooked or became popular since this was published!

6 Likes

I invite you to watch this show (it’s not bad, it is indeed funny) and revel in the ABSOLUTELY ridiculous number of times the word is used. But I still wince every time…

(time to the c-word in the trailer… 36 seconds)

1 Like