Detroit's police commissioner arrested at commissioners' meeting for demanding answers about secret meetings where facial recognition was planned

while that was a really helpful clarification, it is worth remembering that police are also civilians.

despite the desire of us police to cosplay as toy soldiers, they don’t have military training and are subject ( in theory ) to the same laws as everybody else.

6 Likes

I expect a tragic fatal accident fairly soon. Thoughts & prayers.

1 Like

Oh it’s there allright.
Spoiler alert: it’s a train.

2 Likes

Good point.

Wow that’s really gonna affect your travel schedule. Dystopias have really taken off, globally. Lots of dystopias now. I get it that the U.S. is really exemplary these days.

Here’s a graph of English-language-only mentions of dystopia [in books, this is a Google Books Ngram and I apologize that this is so Anglo-centric, but bOINGbOING is an English-language bbs so…]:

I hear New Zealand’s still pretty nice and I’d love to visit there–and I think that’s a UK Commonwealth country, right?

Iceland. Denmark. I think they are doing some hard work over there, good!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-16/danish-prime-minister-is-open-to-grand-coalition-dr-reports

Canada–that’s one of y’all’s still too, right?

http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/british-commonwealth-countries/

The Population Sizes of Each British Commonwealth Country

As mentioned, the Commonwealth of Nations is an organization that is made up of fifty-three countries around the world. Most of these countries used to be territories of the British Empire.

Of course, how these nations got to be UK Commonwealth countries in the first place may be relevant and hellscape-debatable, were one to ask an indigenous person about his or her experience, or their families’ experiences, starting with pre-colonialism through present-day.

I don’t say this to pick a fight. I know UK has its own big troubles right now with Brexit. I am sorry it’s such a mess right now. (I’ve been to England twice (urban and rural) and love the place.)

I say this because I feel it is important to remember and to call out all dystopia-creators and their agendas.

I hope to encourage people to see the path forward in an inclusive path in the widest possible sense of that word, with environmental and social justice for all living things.

I am not. This isn’t funny. This is troubling. This is the cracks at the surface of our society.

1 Like

I recall a Ronn Cobb cartoon from not long after the mid-60s Watts Riots. An old white guys says, “I’ve lived in this town for over 50 years and I’ve never ONCE been brutalized by the police.”

He probably won’t generate hits on the face-cog systems, either.

Chasms to follow.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.