Detroit's police commissioner arrested at commissioners' meeting for demanding answers about secret meetings where facial recognition was planned

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/12/gag-order.html

4 Likes

Police only police each other when there’s a threat to their institutional power.

Otherwise black sites and murder are perfectly acceptable to cops.

29 Likes

That’s some terrifying shit.

19 Likes

Ok, shit is officially weird now. If it wasn’t already.

8 Likes

Hello, United States of Dystopia! As a middle aged white person least likely to be affected by your current hellscape, I will still not be travelling anywhere near your country until sanity is restored. I would offer to take in people seeking asylum from Trump, but I live in the UK.

13 Likes

That is just the prelude.

I can’t wait to see fireworks fly as the police comissioner uses discovery and faces and cross-examines his accusers in the courtroom. He knows exactly where the bodies are hidden, and knows exactly how to write the search warrants to expose these misdeeds.

8 Likes

Is anyone else tickled by the fact that juggalos’ face paint stymies facial recognition?

7 Likes

It won’t forever. Especially if they start using laser or ultrasonic or radar mapping.

2 Likes

I’ll take my wins where I can get them :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

This.

Doesn’t say whether he was for it, and was just pissed because wanted in on the action, or against it.

3 Likes

So, there was a good apple which got tackled by three bad apples set upon him by a bunch of other bad apples? So many bad apples…

6 Likes

200w%20(2)

10 Likes

waiiiit, is this like when one camper get “murdered” at a slasher-film-enthusiast camp, or someone gets “murdered” during an Orient Express™ theme park experience?

1 Like

Good to know that Detroit still has a government, even if it is a shadow government doing God knows what in illegal secret meetings.

7 Likes

To clarify, as there seems to be some misunderstanding (apologies if there’s not, and if the misunderstanding is actually on my part): the guy arrested is not the police commissioner (like e.g. Commissioner Gordon), he’s a police commissioner, one of eleven civilians who constitute a board charged with overseeing the police.

7 Likes

Unfortunately, I don’t see the light at the end of that tunnel.

2 Likes

There is no real freedom in America. Its a mirage. We live in an oligarchical quasi police state run by superstition and religious fundamentalism opposed to understanding of basic scientific facts.

Thinking of starting a floating city on the ocean and doing an evolved society. It would expand in hexagonal pods of floating platforms outward and start with a constitution formed from the most progressive open governments in the world, with clear language going forward to allow for new technology and societal idea advancements. There would not be arguements over what founders wanted. Scientists would be given free rent.

Just a pipe dream. Some asshole would try to sink us, as so many attack vectors exist for a floating city.

I really need to stop spiking my coffee

3 Likes

So… does this board of commissoners actually have any power to back their oversight, or is this guy just realizing that his position was so much window dressing so the po po (we’ll just call them “the bad apples”) can say “yeah, we’ve got citizen oversight”…

5 Likes

Don’t know. It does sound like this guy thought he was there to actually do some overseeing, and the others are like “ha ha fuck no”.

8 Likes

This country? Stick a fork in her. She’s done.

1 Like