Developers paying through the nose for Twitter API access complain that it doesn't even work

Originally published at: Developers paying through the nose for Twitter API access complain that it doesn't even work | Boing Boing

3 Likes

As with the new Reddit, the inflated fees for accessing the API are not really about passing real world costs onto developers who have been effectively subsidized in the past.

Especially since those “real world costs” were reduced by Musk when he fired a whole swath of Twitter’s own developers, who might have actually maintained or improved the API and made it worth the increased subscription fees. The corner-cutting MBA’s mantra of “do more with less” is nothing compared to the 5D chessmaster’s chant of “charge more for less”.

5 Likes

Take a deep breath before diving in.

4 Likes

A PSA for those finding this morning that you can’t view any tweets without signing into a twitter account:

replace the twitter.com or mobile.twitter.com part of the url with nitter.net.

5 Likes

Is the mandatory log-in to see tweets a new feature or has yet another necrotic chunk of Twitter dropped off?

6 Likes

What’s Twitter?

1 Like

:poop: , at least if you ask twitter

5 Likes

Well, duh - nothing else works consistently on Twitter, post-Musk. I feel sorry for anyone who had anything invested in maintaining API access, but it should have been obvious it was not going to be reliable, given the cuts and chaos (and Elno’s apparent lack of concern about either) at Twitter.

I really hope this results in everyone giving up on paying for API access.

I had the same question. That I’ve been getting different responses on different days made me think something just broke rather than it being a deliberate (but undisclosed) decision, but at Twitter these days, the two are indistinguishable. Policy changes are rolled out in the most broken ways possible, and also things break and then they decide that’s the way it’s going to be, now.

6 Likes

Nobody knows. And now nitter isn’t working either, which doesn’t answer the question either. It could be that twitter is blocking that workaround, or it could be that nitter collapsed under the load of everyone trying to use it today.

5 Likes

Quite the error page. Never heard of nim before.

Blech. Whitespace sensitive.

1 Like

… Don’t use Twitter? They’ve had months of Musk tanking the company to make the switch to literally anything else.

2 Likes

I mean, I don’t post there. Not having an account is why it’s an issue. The problem is all the other people that I want to hear that are still using it. Firsthand Ukraine news especially.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.