Twitter to be paywalled for all users, says Musk

Originally published at: Twitter to be paywalled for all users, says Musk | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Charging for something that used to be free: there’s that 5D chess again. It should go over particularly well with the spoiled racist and fascist edgelords he’s trying to attract.

I hope this latest attempt to pander to his creditors contributes to sinking Musk’s Nazi bar.

35 Likes

Ah yes, the “Flea Market” model of social media. Pay for a booth and hawk* your wares. Just very original and futuristic, and absolutely appropriate and flawlessly analogous to the medium.

Yes, I checked, “hock” is to pawn, while “hawk” means to sell. You’re all lucky I don’t have to pay to add edits!

37 Likes

A Nazi bar with a cover charge, what could go wrong?

32 Likes

‘Interesting strategy, Cotten’:

27 Likes

Yay! This is his best idea yet. Maybe this will finally make twitter everyone’s x.

29 Likes

As we should all know by now with ‘social media’–there is not really a ‘free’. You either pay money for something or your value is stripped from you in another way.

3 Likes

And also to expel phlegm. Seems appropriate.

13 Likes

Musk’s next genius plan will be to retroactively charge for tweets, going back over ten years.

19 Likes

Dumbest rich man

7 Likes

And of course he was only speaking to the Israeli Prime Minister about Twitter in the first place because Netanyahu was concerned about the whole “Twitter turning into a Nazi hellscape” thing. Definitely all signs of a thriving social media company with a bright future ahead of it.

19 Likes

adds it to the list of shit Musk says he’ll do and never does like fix the water in Flint, MI, Hyperloop, Boring tunnels under Miami, etc.

14 Likes

I don’t think he’s going for an either/or.

19 Likes

Of course money=speech in the town square of a freeze peach paradise. Color me surprised this libertarian fuckface has the same interpretation as the ghouls who ruled on Citizen’s United.

23 Likes

Robert Redford Nod GIF

16 Likes

Does this decision have any impact on Twitter/X’s usage by politicians? If they’re paying to have their messages posted, does that mean their usage is affected by campaign finance laws as political ads?

21 Likes

It was “free” in the same way broadcast television is free. People enter into the arrangement with the understanding that the service provider is going to make money selling ads on the platform, and continue using the service only as long as the enjoyment of the content outweighs the annoyance of the ads.

“I’m going to charge people to use an ad-supported service that’s been completely overrun by Nazis” is the worst of all possible business models and is unlikely to succeed.

29 Likes

Nope, he’s not any dumber than other wealthy people.
Wealth has never required intelligence

10 Likes

Except that broadcast TV doesn’t (or at least didn’t used to) collect every scrap of information about you into a dossier.

12 Likes

What do you think the Nielsen ratings were for?

6 Likes