Twitter to be paywalled for all users, says Musk

Maybe now (or soon) some of my favorite websites will stop sending me there every time they want to link a story!

20 Likes

came here to say this, since Xitter is garbage, why do people keep posting links to it… and tiktok.
aren’t there proxies or mirrors at least?

10 Likes

There’s Threadreaderapp, but it doesn’t always pick up complete threads, and it can’t capture extended length tweets from Twitter Blue users (or whatever Musk is calling it this week).

8 Likes

If you’re not paying for the product, you ARE the product.

10 Likes

Right libertarians believe that human rights are subset of property rights, so naturally property has free speech.

15 Likes

if you are paying for the product then you’re also the product. doubly so, because know they know your real name, address, and likely your credit history.

yay?

19 Likes

My first impression when reading this is: it guarantees a lot of casual users will leave the site.

But hey, I’m not a wunderkind genius 5-D chess self-made billionaire like Elon Musk.:wink:

9 Likes

Downward spiral. Less posts means less content and especially means less quality content if you have to pay to post to begin with. It’s going to be almost all ads or links to ads at some point.

8 Likes

Pay-to-post makes a very limited amount of sense. The class of users eliminated will be those who want to post occasionally, but don’t care enough to pay for the privilege (or don’t want to give Elon their money).

It won’t get rid of the millions of adoring bots who follow Elon (approximately half of his following, according to some estimates) because it would look bad if his follower count suddenly halved. And it won’t affect active disinformation bots, because their operators presumably have a budget for that kind of thing (even if the budget is underwritten by someone else’s credit card).

At the end of the day, it’s not so much a way to eliminate bots on Twitter, as to monetize them. Essentially, Elon’s found a way to build a revenue stream based on the actors who are making Twitter progressively worse, while discouraging some of the people who helped make it an interesting place to be. I’m sure that will be to the long-term benefit of the platform.

11 Likes

They’ve always collected as much information as was technically feasible. The social media companies are just able to do so far more effectively than the television broadcasters. Charging users for the service doesn’t mean those companies will have less information about their viewers, it means they’ll have more.

Like @gatto said, paid subscribers are still the product. They’re just forking out their money for the privilege of being the product.

13 Likes

It’s always amusing to wake up and see how Elon is going to slam his dick in the door of his Tesla today.

16 Likes

Haaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaahahaha. Good one, Elno. Can’t see a way this could possibly fail. /s

5 Likes

Animated GIF

5 Likes

I’ll believe it when I see it, but I think it would be a net benefit for society. No more lazy journalism squeezing 500 stories out of what some idiot Xitted out. I can only hope that the things worthy of reading (a lot of Ukraine coverage) migrates to some other home quickly.

9 Likes

Aren’t those already the ones paying?

6 Likes

Well, I’ll just let the assholes delete my account then. I’m not paying to shitpost or look at NFSW artists at home when I can do that on Mastodon. It won’t be the same, but it’s an acceptable alternative for me instead of funding some 50 something failson.

7 Likes

Reminder that your presence on the platform helps fund Musk whether you’re paying directly or not. If you’ve got an active account, then Musk is getting some amount of money by selling some of your attention span to advertisers. Paying directly would just give him more.

So really a good idea to delete your account either way.

8 Likes

True, but I’m surprised I haven’t been hard banned yet for blocking thousands of advertisers so far. :smiling_imp:

8 Likes

pay to post isn’t significantly different from pay to read. most people won’t pay so most of the things people were reading won’t be there anymore. it’s going to drive the userbase away which ever way he does it

5 Likes

Sounds like there will be more ex-users than X users.

9 Likes