DHS announces 'Task Force to Protect American Monuments, Memorials, and Statues'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/01/dhs-announces-task-force-to.html

6 Likes

Yes, Biff, but a case can be made that an American monument is not one that was erected in memory of white supremacist traitors to the U.S.

31 Likes

So, the Monuments Men, only they’re working for the Nazis now?

32 Likes

This is so fucking stupid.

Sorry but, JFC don’t they have some Homeland Security stuff to be doing?

16 Likes

“As we approach the July 4th holiday, I have directed the deployment and pre-positioning of Rapid Deployment Teams (RDT) across the country to respond to potential threats to facilities and property,”

For people that are all about eliminating government waste, they clearly don’t hesistate to spend a TON of money on stupid bullshit. Seriously, how much is this going to cost?

25 Likes

I thought they were responsible for Airport security, if they are deployed as general purpose “domestic military” where does that end, will they be monitoring elections to stop “terrorists”? We should immediately defund this department it is a risk to Democracy.

15 Likes

Like what, intimidating citizens? I’ll bet they can easily combine those tasks.

9 Likes

Hey DHS and lil don trump…this ones for you.
DHSSSS

16 Likes

You’re thinking of the TSA, which I believe is a component of the DHS umbrella organisation.

8 Likes

After they christened it the “Department of Homeland Security,” it was pretty much destined to this kind of discount-brand authoritarianism.

20 Likes

DHS could well become the Trump version of the Stazi or the Brown Shirts. Trump’s own personal domestic strike force to stamp out dissent under the guise of, of course, Law and Order. ®

18 Likes

Will this involve arresting State and local governments who decide to do away with trash on their own properties or will it strictly apply to Federally owned and maintained celebration of, for instance, slavery?

You weren’t supposed to talk about that.

11 Likes

Narrator: They don’t.

24 Likes

We are literally already there, with DHS’s Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) having been called in to suppress the recent demonstrations in Washington. CBP, you’ll recall, is the organization whose union has very vocally endorsed Trump going back all the way to before he was even the nominee.

14 Likes

I really hope this task force retroactively goes after whoever it was that recently trashed a bunch of (non-racist) national monuments. Bears ears, grand staircase…

8 Likes

I hope they protect this monument to our equine friends.

31 Likes

Trump’s only thinking of his future legacy.

Well, to be fair, since DHS is a completely redundant entity and we don’t have hordes of terrorist in the country like feared when it was formed, they are probably sitting around doing nothing.

3 Likes

The confederacy might be their nation, but its not mine

16 Likes

This just shows how many armed three-letter agencies with vague remits the USA has. Yet another symptom of a national inability to countenance any form of public spending unless it involves the potential to kill people.

13 Likes