Dice containing bloody teeth and other oddities

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/12/dice-containing-bloody-teeth-a.html

3 Likes

The ones with the bees just make me sad.

6 Likes

From the commissions page:

CUSTOM ORDERS CURRENTLY CLOSED

:woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Well shit…

I mean, I was insanely curious about a d10 set of the bloody looking ones with fangs. If they could make those WITH the new Vampire 5E icons and put a fang/canine in each one… well shut up and take my money.

2 Likes

It’s beautiful stuff. Maybe they got overwhelmed with orders?

3 Likes

Probably. Hopefully they can catch up. Considering the rise of Vampire 5E, I bet it would be a good seller, my suggestion above.

They are making these really nice machined aluminum dice, but holy hell, I can’t afford that. (sorry, where I saw that escapes me at the moment)

2 Likes

Problem, though minor, is that the maker states the dies are not balanced. They’re neat though :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I was thinking that too. But shit, I roll so horrible, either I wouldn’t notice if it rolled low, or I’d finally get some good rolls.

Also, are unbalanced dice really that far off from ones that are? I mean loaded dice, yes, but if they are just off?

2 Likes

I guess for an artist, I’m just too practical; regardless to how the designs look, the apparent lack of numbered sides bothers me.

9 Likes

There are indented numbers, but they are very hard to read. I’m assuming they didn’t ink the recesses so it doesn’t block the “contents” of the dice?

But I tend to agree with you - instantly readable dice or “no dice”

8 Likes

Yeah, unreadability is a deal breaker. Also, inclusions like that can seriously impact the randomness of the dice, unless the maker is extremely careful about matching densities with the main material. And ensures there are no bubbles or air cavities such inclusions could easily result in, of course.

That being said, their gallery does have some very, very pretty dice, but design at the cost of functionality is never worth it if you actually plan on using them in a game.

I am all for pretty design that doesn’t affect function, though!

4 Likes

Upon MUCH closer inspection, so there are.

Making them even more impractical.

7 Likes

Ah, I wondered about that.

2 Likes

I don’t think colony collapse can be blamed on dice manufacturers.

I doubt that stops all the colonies that flubbed their saves against mites and/or viruses from trying; if my D&D experience is anything to go by…

6 Likes

I came to point out this. With dice lack of balance isn’t a minor problem. it throws off their sole function.

yes, they are. loaded dice don’t have to be off as much as most people think.

Can I specify the people I would like the eyeballs from?

2 Likes

Having grown up in the 80s, I know that each and every D&D dice contains a little bit of my soul.

2 Likes

Ooh, distributed redundant phylactories… It’s lucky liches aren’t allowed to do that.

2 Likes

I didn’t say it did; all I said was seeing the little bees (whether real or fake) made me sad.