Luxury RPG dice set goes berserk on Kickstarter, raising over $1.66 million

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/07/luxury-rpg-dice-set-goes-berse.html

5 Likes

This is going to destroy her, isn’t it?

Like most small-scale Kickstarters that end up blowing way past what the creators could handle…

10 Likes

Those Black Emerald dice are certainly handsome.

@jlargentaye I guess it depends how much actual fulfilment work the creator is responsible for. If Dispel Dice has outsourced the production and distribution to a manufacturer, I guess it might all just be gravy.

3 Likes

The dice look pretty but I can’t tell if they’re actually crystalline in nature or if it’s just good lighting on what is well printed opaque plastic. Definitely clever descriptions tho.

2 Likes

The cats will looove them!

2 Likes

From the kickstarter page:

“Every artisan set is hand poured, polished, and painted, so there may be slight imperfections or differences of color and material suspension in the dice. No part of this process is automated. Please understand that due to the nature of how they’re crafted, it is impossible to ensure they’re absolutely perfect or identical because each one is one of a kind.”

So very doomed.

18 Likes

The original fulfillment date was Nov 2020. Any new backers being added now are Aug 2021…and there are ZERO guarantees they won’t run long on either/or both dates; 'tis kickstarter after all and for every on-time delivery there are 10 late and 0.2 early (probably being kind on BOTH those estimates). I also got the feeling, after reading the Aug2021 update, that if they hit certain numbers on THOSE tiers, they’ll add new ones will 2022 dates…and so on, and so forth.

7 Likes

She’s been on social media showing off what she’s been making for a year now, with a full team helping her. She’s about to open a third facility. They’re also being pretty smart about delivery and set it at 2021.

6 Likes

They’re resin.

2 Likes

I am rather partial to Crimson Nebula. The high contrast of the silver over black and red is striking.

3 Likes

So precious…

3 Likes

This sounds good. I like they seem to have done their maths before opening the floodgates.

1 Like

They looks awesome. Not sure they are $48 worth of awesome, but worth it if you have the coin.

2 Likes

They’re clear/tinted resin, with suspended inclusions that provide the crystalline effect.

3 Likes

My biggest issue is that for many dice systems you don’t need one of each, you need like, a bunch of some, a few of others. Dice of Rolling was a kickstarter based on that premise, but the dice are pretty plain; I’d kill for something setup like this for this kickstarter…but I also am not going to pay for something for two years out. I’m glad they’re doing well though.

2 Likes

Yeah. I have an ability that requires 5 d6. I want my dice to be pretty and match, if not at least coordinate.

2 Likes

There is a YouTube channel I came across for who knows what reason the shows you how to make your own. There are probably many similar ones. So if you really need coordinating custom dice you could make them

3 Likes

Personally speaking, the ‘eat me’ pin doesn’t hold a candle to my cherished, $1 ‘hi, loser’ pin:

7 Likes

That’s why I make sure my bases are FULLY covered

7 Likes

Oooooh!! Fun!!! I think all it takes is a mold and some resin. And for me, some glitter!!

2 Likes