Dickhead's anti-yoga-pants letter to the editor sparks yoga-pants-parade

Couple things:

1. People get to wear what they want as long as it’s not breaking any laws or any attire related regulations (dress codes)
  2. If the laws are stupid, the laws need to change (e.g. topfreedom and what not)
  3. If the dress codes are inherently sexist, they too need to change
  4. This man has never experienced how much nicer form fitting clothes feel. I wish I could wear my jammers (swim shorts for lap swimming) to the beach and what not, but it’s just not cool for a dude to wear snug clothes like that. Same for bike shorts – they kick the pants off bulky cargo shorts. I’d wear yoga pants if I could get away with it. It’s just comfortable.
12 Likes

Every! Single! Day!

3 Likes

Satire! Yeah, … that’s the ticket. It was satire all along.

12 Likes

[quote=“doctorow, post:1, topic:88100”]the East Bay RI, the local paper of record[/quote]And that’s the real winner here, make no mistake.

People will buy the paper just to see what the local crackpots are saying today, and the local crackpots will always have something to say, and to heck with what it does to the quality of discourse.

2 Likes

Remember, it is possible for someone who’s been victimized to still be an insufferable asshole. You may find my sympathies lacking, Mr. Sorrentino.

4 Likes

Poe’s Law strikes again? If the dickhead’s letter was in fact meant to be satire, he needs to perhaps take a break from public discourse until he learns how to write proper satire.

6 Likes

My take on this:

4 Likes

Ugh.

#Dear Random Dickhead Alan Sorrentino;
#Unless you buy my clothes for me, you don’t get to tell me what to wear.*
#If you don’t like my choice of apparel, then don’t fucking look.

#That is all.

*And even if you did buy my clothes, I would still dress however the fuck I feel.

25 Likes

Dammit, that list is first-name alpha-sorted.

Don’t they know that lists of peoples’ names should be last-name alpha-sorted?

15 Likes

Alternate title: MILFophile’s subversive campaign wildly successful.

4 Likes

Nobody has asked yet why this is a gendered problem. Why specifically women in yoga pants? Do women somehow age more quickly than men?

3 Likes

I’m sure he doesn’t but only because in the US nobody wears speedos unless they are timing themselves swimming. But people – women, men, old, young, overweight, thin – get to wear what they want as long as it’s not illegal and against the dress code. So if some old dude wants to wear a speedo at the pool, he gets to. We have to get over this notion that only those we’re attracted to get to wear whatever they want.

10 Likes

Because in the US men wear baggy clothes – especially shorts and swimsuits. If you ever see a man in anything that resembles yoga pants or tights the only thing that could apply is that he’s a runner and it’s frigid out. Edit: Or maybe a triathlete or professional football player or something.

6 Likes

No, but some people (many men) find the idea that women age and still enjoy their bodies offensive.

13 Likes

Even then, they don’t get called out.

9 Likes

6 Likes

Whatever floats their boat!

2 Likes

OK, so what do male yogis wear?

That’s a serious question! Many clothing sellers offer lines of yoga clothes, but marketed only towards women.

It appears that in India, most yoga practitioners are men, while in the US most are women. I never see this difference discussed either. From what I have seen, people in India don’t appear to wear the yoga clothes of the US.

1 Like

oh, a parade of older men in yoga pants would have been a priceless protest of solidarity!

you forgot cranky old men…which i am guessing he is. they don’t seem to wear anything but speedos at least in the states i’ve lived in. :slight_smile: you might not have been able to tell because their bellies cover most of it.

he owns an expensive road bike!

8 Likes

His objection is on aesthetic grounds, not hygienic, and for the record I think his particular objection is stupid and sexist and ageist and misguided. But, @LDoBe, @lamaranagram, @Melizmatic, there’s something to be said not for “looking attractive,” but for basic consideration for others. How you dress and behave in public can affect the experiences of those around you, even if it’s “none of their business.”

Imagine going out to a fancy restaurant for a special occasion. The guy at the table next to yours is wearing a cutoff t-shirt that reads FUCK YOU YOU FUCKIN FUCK adorned with flecks of vomit and spittle, he chews with his mouth wide open, and he’s constantly reaching inside his jorts to scratch his nether regions. You think that doesn’t affect your dinner just because he’s not actually rubbing his ass on your plate?

I’m not defending mister anti-yoga-pants’ specific position, but I do object to the idea that how you dress in public exists in some private bubble that doesn’t affect anyone else. Of course you’re allowed to wear whatever you want, but that doesn’t mean it’s never inconsiderate to do so.

1 Like