Dictator-wannabe Donald Trump praises Xi Jinping as a "perfect" leader who rules "with an iron fist" (video)

Originally published at: Dictator-wannabe Donald Trump praises Xi Jinping as a "perfect" leader who rules "with an iron fist" (video) | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Just a little preview. Not that it will matter to his mouth-breathing, flag-hugging followers.

11 Likes

I’ve gotten used to not understanding much of what this moron is saying but WTF does Hollywood have to do with the topic of Xi or China??

17 Likes

Note that human rights abuses, lack of civil liberties and disappearing of enemies does not register as less than “perfect” to Trump.

14 Likes

What’s happening, or what happened doesn’t matter, it’s how it looks on screen, and what kind of ratings you get. That’s what he hopes for for his “Shoot a guy on fifth avenue” re-election special, yuge ratings.

15 Likes

But his supporters all believe Biden is in China’s pocket. How tf do they reconcile these beliefs?

17 Likes

Bingo. The only thing this pathological narcissist and grifter cares about is how much attention he gets in the media and popular culture. Everything is couched in terms of his and others’ ratings. I have no doubt he’s praised Hitler on the same basis.

13 Likes

So. . . praising Putin wasn’t enough?

Next up “You heard of this guy Pinochet who used to run Chile? Excellent excellent leader, tossed people out of helicopters. Genius! Why can’t I do that here in the US? So unfair.”

15 Likes

Oh no, quite the opposite. This is what he aspires to do, so perfect indeed.

16 Likes

Yet he criticizes Biden for “weaponizing” government against him.

13 Likes

It’s simple: when Biden works with China it’s because he’s a weak leader who can’t force them to do what he wants. When Trump makes admiring mouth noises at Xi Jinping it’s an expression of the mutual respect between two manly men who will settle their differences with a cigar in the sauna and a couple rounds of arm wrestling.

15 Likes

Truly Trump never has met a dictator he didn’t like. I can’t figure out if Trump simply doesn’t know enough to realize all the problems China is having due to being ruled by a less-than-perfectly-competent dictator, and how much Trump is just lauding the guy for his total power rather than his abilities. (Leaving aside the human rights violations that Trump doesn’t care about.)

WTF? I really don’t get this part.

I’m wondering if he’s making a reference to Hollywood executives? It doesn’t make any sense for numerous reasons, but neither does any other interpretation, so…

Does he think Xi has fabricated a fiction/reality (the two are the same for Trump) that’s popular? Rather than the reality, which is that it’s tolerated because people have no choice? The thinking on Trump’s part here is sooo weird.

11 Likes

… a phrase which has been drained of any meaning

“Trump talked, in a room, with an audience” :thinking:

14 Likes

They don’t have to. the point isn’t to have a set of beliefs that make sense… it’s to follow dear leader and do what he says. That’s the nature of authoritarianism.

16 Likes

Unwarranted assumptions are unwarranted.

9 Likes

Intellectually, I know that. I will just never understand how people can think that way. It just baffles me.

8 Likes

It makes life easier if you’re not constantly questioning everything, but accept what you’re told and buy in. Certainty is attractive in a world fraught with uncertainty. This is why there is major overlap between the MAGA movement and the patriarchal, white Christian nationalist movement that makes up a large part of the white Evangelical movement…

15 Likes

Previously:

ETA: This isn’t the first time that Trump has praised Chinese leaders for their shrewd, decisive brutality.

In 1990, Trump told Playboy magazine: “The Chinese government almost blew it. Then they were vicious, they were horrible, but they put it down with strength. That shows you the power of strength. Our country is right now perceived as weak.”

9 Likes

He’s extending the metaphor started with the “central casting” line. Central Casting supplies background actors, and their name is a common expression more or less meaning “true to type”.

In essence “If you asked Hollywood for an archetypal strongman this is what you’d get… but there’s no one in Hollywood like him”. Which, in typical TFG fashion, does as much to negate the premise as it does reinforce it, but his audience lacks object permanence so /shrug.

11 Likes

Considering Pinochet, like all military coups on Latin America, were US-Backed, I wouldn’t be surprised…

Those guys has fetishes for strong men and violence

7 Likes