Dictionary searches for "Schadenfreude" were up 30,500% after Trump's COVID-19 diagnosis

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/05/dictionary-searches-for-schadenfreude-were-up-30500-after-trumps-covid-19-diagnosis.html

3 Likes

If JoyDamage isn’t the name of a Pop-punk band yet then it should be.

14 Likes

I suspect a majority of the searches were by right-wingers who just found out there was a name for what they have been feeling all their lives.

8 Likes

My wife’s old-school library-sized copy of Webster’s says it all:

6 Likes

“What’re them libruls with their book learnin’ and furrin words saying bout our great preznit? Oh…”

7 Likes

It’s been a very interesting journey. I learned a lot about Schadenfreude. I learned it by really going to school. This is the real school. This isn’t the ‘let’s read the books’ school. And I get it, and I understand it, and Schadenfreude is a very interesting thing, and I’m going to be letting you know about it.

5 Likes
7 Likes

Thank you for sharing what is, without a doubt, the finest video on YouTube.

5 Likes

Oh no, if the right figures out we’re taking joy in their suffering, we’ll never win them over to our side! They only respond to mutual respect and empathy. Or so I read, somewhere, I can’t remember where.

4 Likes

FYI, the Dutch version of Schadenfreude is: leedvermaak

1 Like

…And every single one of them feel better now…

df20031022

2 Likes

I did see the coining of a new variant form of schadenfreude. Its an antonym of doomscrolling. (and the compound was endorsed by some native German speakers as “formed just like we would have”)

Schadensurfing

I am instead indulging in some traditional schadenfreude, having constructed The Herman Cain Medal as a wall of shame for those that use their public position to deny science, ridicule those taking precautions, and especially fighting emergency mandates to slow the disease.

Like its namesake, the medal is awarded posthumously, but there are dishonorable mentions for those taking actions, but are still aboveground, wasting oxygen, and likely continuing to get in the way.

I do take nominations, and they can be made anonymously. I am also collecting super spreader events, like the campaign rally where the medals namesake likely contracted his case of the disease.

If dem “Libruls” who know wot shadyfraudstein meens all dye I’d be happy… Is that jest sour crepe’s?

No.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.