Did BBC Sounds host Mary Ann Hobbs uncover a new clue in David Bowie's Black Star?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/08/did-bbc-sounds-host-mary-ann-hobbs-uncover-a-new-clue-in-david-bowies-black-star.html

2 Likes

BBC Sounds is an app not a show. I think it’s this episode:

7 Likes

considering that almost every lyric or piece of imagery that bowie produced is adapted from some semi-obscure book from the modernist era this seems legit

5 Likes

@garethb2 Maybe correct the headline, as @vermes82 indicates. Mary Ann Hobbs hosts a show which is available via the BBC Sounds app, as are hundreds (thousands?) of other shows.

2 Likes

God damn it Bowie i miss you :sob:

5 Likes

I’m still not ready to listen to that final album
Someday, though

7 Likes

BBC Sounds is just a front end for the podcasts and the radio broadcasts catchup though and a relatively recent thing, replacing the iPlayer radio service a couple years ago. I would say ‘show’ is correct because this would have been broadcast on the digital radio service originally.

1 Like

i agree. he was a voracious reader. it definitely makes sense.

4 Likes

Chorley, Lancashire. Also the birthplace of legendary synth wizard, electro pop genius and grey-suited Quiet Man, John Foxx.
Who happens to have been massively influenced by, you guessed it, David Bowie.

3 Likes

Leonora Carrington FTW.

2 Likes

And Leonora Carrington is definitely up his street. And I think there was a major touring exhibition and revival of interest in her in the middle of the last decade (before Bowie died and things turned to shit) so she could well have been on his mind.

2 Likes

I haven’t listened to it either. I’m afraid i might not like it but someday i’ll listen to it when i’m in the right moon and frame of mind.

2 Likes

Sorry, no. See my earlier comment. It does not matter whether it was broadcast on a digital or analogue radio service, it was still a show. BBC Sounds is, indeed, the radio/audio version of iPlayer but it serves up hundreds of different shows (not all of them ever broadcast on radio at all). Whether it is a radio broadcast later made available on BBC Sounds, or a podcast also available on BBC Sounds, or a BBC Sounds exclusive programme, BBC Sounds is the platform/service, NOT the show.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, i’m agreeing with you but obviously not explaining it very well. BBC Sounds* is the service but the show in this case is part of DJ Mary Anne Hobbs’ slot on 6 Music.

Or ‘Snouds’ as i’ve heard Kermode and Mayo call it.

2 Likes

And the headline is already updated. :wink:

1 Like

25DlT85

3 Likes

this, and cohen’s “you want it darker.” just too hard…

3 Likes

What?! Why deny yourself the brilliance of his last work on earth?

3 Likes

Spoiler alert - it’s really good.

5 Likes

it is very tough.
listening to it when it first released, i felt a sense of dread i couldn’t get over, and honestly wasn’t sure if i liked it: the whole thing just imparted a sort of emptiness on me which prompted my immediate reaction to get as far away from the album as possible.
like a week later when we learned he had died it all made sense. The total and all encompassing blackness of death is what makes the album. it’s so completely laden with it and just such an amazing attempt to look at the ever-approaching void, I can’t help but argue that it’s very likely bowie’s best but also most likely the hardest to listen to

6 Likes