Did Donald Trump's racist tweets violate federal laws against workplace discrimination?

I can see Bill Barr arguing Trump isn’t their supervisor since he can’t fire them, and because he’s in a different branch of government he’s not even really their co-worker.

8 Likes

Maybe instead of dragging him on Twitter we try and convince him he is a Deity incarnate and thus immortal.

1 Like

Seems the motto of this administration is the old Nixon gem “if the president does it, it isn’t illegal”. Sigh

3 Likes

The Caligula we deserve?

5 Likes

Yeah, US is totally fucked and thus has earned him. We install losers. Hello? Is that a good idea? We shrug at foreign military attacks. Why? We shrug at cartel capitalism. We’re rather like roadside cattle near Area 51, staring death in the face while chewing our cuds.

Will Tramp get away with his shit? Sure. It’s been OK so far.

1 Like

23 Likes

I saw some Trump-apologist Republican saying something along the lines of “When he said to “go back,” he could have been talking about their home districts…” (Completely ignoring that it was clearly within the context of “countries.”) This is the most popular kind of Trump apologia - “If we ignore what he actually said, he could have meant anything!” So it isn’t a stretch to turn that into, “If we only ignore what he actually said/did, it can’t be harassment!”

12 Likes

Hey the house is voting on a resolution right now to condemn this racist tweet. So far 3 yea, 145 nay on the R count for saying:

“Donald trump, we didn’t like that but won’t actually do anything”

What a party if morality, personal responsibility and courage.

ETA: looks like we won’t even have 10 morally solvent republicans. The party must be so proud it can do nothing but slavishly approve of anything trumpler says.

Not even 5 republicans could agree that trump is a racist and that what he said is bad.

Republicans are racist. Or at best unwilling to condemn racism. Honestly that just makes them racists and enablers.

14 Likes

If he can mean anything, then he means nothing. Basic logic. Alas, he DOES command planet-destroying power. Cross meaninglessness with effective omnipotence. What happens?

I’ll return to an old theme: All these tweetstorms and bravuras are distractions – anything to forestall and delay releasing his financials, which will show he’s owned by Putin. He’ll launch nukes before he’ll allow his treasons displayed. Watch out.

4 Likes

It’s a continuation of the pre-election dynamic where Trump’s unintelligible statements meant what his supporters wanted them to mean - nothing more and nothing less. Trump continues to be treated by many of his supporters as a cipher on which they can project their fantasies about what they’d like him to be (while ignoring what he actually is and does).

I’m not sure how much his tweets are calculated distractions, though - I think the idea that he simply tweets when he’s unhappy and likes the chaos he creates (because there’s no bad attention as far as he’s concerned) explains his actions pretty well.

11 Likes

The name of the game is judging each side with different rulers. If Ilhan Omar says something that can be interpreted as anti-Semitic, then there’s no other way to look at it other than that she’s deeply anti-Semitic. If Trump says something that can be interpreted as racist, then you’re just twisting his meaning to make it fit your narrative. It’s childish and completely transparent.

11 Likes

Why would he care? Closer relations with Putin is good thing. Also it’s fake news.

Maaaaybe he doesn’t want us to find out just how little wealth he actually has. But even covering his tracks for financial crimes seems like, why bother? If people don’t mind the rest of this shit, they won’t care that he’s a financial genius screwing over The Man.

I didn’t do it. It’s legal anyway. And it was actually really very smart of me to do it.

3 Likes

Though it’s now moved beyond simply being childish - Trump is transparently making up statements/positions he attributes to Ilhan Omar that are the polar opposite of what she (unambiguously) said in reality.

8 Likes

Kellyanne Conway tried to say that Trump meant they should go back to the countries their ancestors came from. Which… no he didn’t. And also: huh?

11 Likes

Unambiguous evidence that Russia has called Tramp’s tune for a decade will be hard for even Graham to overlook.

3 Likes

I think you may be underestimating the power of faith in this matter. They believed him into the presidency and have been mad drunk on power. They don’t want to stop believing. Peter pan got nothing on what they did here…

4 Likes

Dear Mr. Putin:
Please be advised that I am also for sale.

Sincerely yours,
Nearly every Republican Senator and probably quite a few Democrats as well

6 Likes

Headline: Kellyanne Conway demands to know reporters ethnicity before answering question.

7 Likes

Sad part is, US pols go cheap. Gov’t folks in most countries demand high prices, even in plato o plomo (*) locales. Here, it’s pocket change. But how long do they stay bought? Do they ever go honest, or just retire to corporate gigs?

(*) Plato o plomo ==> silver or lead ==> take the bribe or we shoot you and your family.

2 Likes

It’s the power of hate. Fundy jeezoids accept this horrendous amoral shitstain because he empowers their hate of women, children, queers, nonwhites, most Americans … and thus of themselves, spawn of refugees. Hate and fear are so strong.

2 Likes