Did I really just switch from Mac to Windows?

There was exactly one model year of macs with 32-bit Intel processors. Everything since 2007 has been 64 bit. An IA-32-only Mac app is nearly as out of date as a PowerPC-only one. There’s really no good excuse for any app which was updated after 2006 to not support 64 bit Intel.

Well, tell that to the developers who’ve stopped updating their software that I still find useful. :slight_smile:

Mainly music production software.

4 Likes

Apple Silicon macs will support virtualization. It was demo’d during the announcement. Of course you’re limited to ARM64 guest systems unless you use something like Qemu (and take the performance hit of CPU emulation).

For office productivity workloads maybe. I wouldn’t try audio or video production in the cloud.

2 Likes

Ah, the “Easy is for Wimps” school, my alma mater.

2 Likes

Heck I’d still be using Sound Designer II if it were possible.

3 Likes

This isn’t true anymore, though it came at the expense of some privacy. Unless you’re reinstalling with multiple core hardware changes, MS will use your hardware fingerprint to confirm your license and reactivate with zero user input required. If you’re willing to drink the MS kool-aid and use windows with an MS account, reinstalls are even closer to seamless; It’ll port over your wifi details, contacts, and even website login status to a brand-new device.

Privacy trade-offs all the way, but if you’re using a chrome profile and a password manager you’ve already made those compromises.

Re-Fenestrating.

5 Likes

Heck, I rebuilt my entire PC from scratch (the only part that I carried over was the graphics card) and I just signed in with my MS account, told Windows I’d made a ‘hardware change’ and this computer is the same as my old one, and it activated. At least that part has gotten easier.

1 Like

Now you need to learn to stop Windows 10 sending all your personal information to Microsoft.

W/ apple vs windows it’s a bit like religion.

The one you grow up with feels like the normal natural choice, and everyone else with their other stuff is silly and misled.

But here I am, sitting in my ivory tower, telling you this from a machine running Arch.

1 Like

So far, in my experience I’ve never outright needed to re-image a Win10 machine to get it to run smoothly has been unnecessary.

Over the last many years I’ve had to re-image WinXP and Win7 machines regularly on the order of once every 2-3 years to keep them behaving nicely. Never had to do that with a Win10.

Here’s a tiny story from my workplace. Management pushed Windows 10 workstations on all of us about two years ago - despite most of us being Linux developers :face_vomiting:

The killer app the suits wanted was Outlook of all things - which unsurprisingly never lived up to expectations. But we have lost person years of wasted effort on the development side, trying to work and kludge around an OS that’s not really our world, nor particularly compatible with what we do.

Now, call it Stockholm Syndrome, call it “you’ve got to play with the hand you’ve been dealt”, as a bona fide Windows hater, I adopted Edge (the new, Chromium based one) as my primary web browser. I’m not exactly sure why. I think part of it was pleasant surprise, or mild shock, that it actually worked.

Well that was until last week, when a friendly popup offered to shove all my data, including company passwords, into the M$ cloud :wink: - never changed my primary browser so quickly, and that was, mind you, with full support of the Windows-centric company IT, who had nothing more to say than they don’t support Edge.

Microsoft are not the user’s friend. They have never been, and will never be. Sometimes they’ll come along with a competitive product (I still marvel at C# and how something that good came out of M$ - it clearly must have been developed under the radar of the marketing suits). But even if you can’t see the strings attached, they’re there, and from decades of experience, I can tell that they are always just that little bit more evil than the other companies.

3 Likes

And they hired away the chief Delphi architect from Borland to create it. (It’s always a bit odd flipping between C# and Delphi/Lazarus.)

1 Like

XP typically lasted me a year or so. For each of my machines I had an image of a clean install with all drivers, updates and service packs, and all my data on a separate partition, and documentation of all things to install and set up afterwards, so that I could be up and running again in 3-4 hours.

I have no clue how long Windows 10 lasts until the machine is well and truly fucked. After all it still has the registry, the same driver model as before, and other bad ideas. So I would assume that MacOs is still an order of magnitude better than Windows 10, even though the average user won’t notice that most of the time.

A pity they’re killing the hackintosh with the their custom CPUs now, that really is the best of both worlds, upgradable and affordable hardware, and a solid OS.

1 Like

Because they wanted to move your passwords to the cloud?

Just to put things in perspective: Apple has done that years ago. Chrome has done that years ago. Even Firefox has that option. Apple sues people who repair their products. Facebook and Youtube peddle rightwing conspiracies because it brings them more ad money. And lets not even start with Amazon.

I hate Microsoft as much as the next guy, but that’s not fair. :grinning:

3 Likes

So edgy!

Have you tried the Windows Subsystem for Linux? It’s really quite something.

2 Likes

I think you mean LibreOffice?

2 Likes

I mean, not really? It’s not like on mobile where you’ve got to mess around with sideloading or whatever. You can just download a program off a web page and run it if you want.

Also:

I viewed this article first on the BBS, which, for some reason didn’t render the bullet lists, so my eye was first caught by the text “there were some things I miss about the Mac” followed by nothing, which made me think “Woah, that’s savage!”

4 Likes

We also have a Delete key and a Backspace key. And we let you resize a window by grabbing any edge or corner

For me the appeal of Mac includes paying Apple to worry about hardware compatibility and drivers for me so I can work, and having a system that I can expect to reliably keep booting up for 5+ years and receive security updates that whole time. Hackintosh pretty much kills that advantage. You have to build a system from parts which are supported by macOS and there’s no guarantee an update won’t totally bork your system, leaving you with nowhere to turn for support. It makes a fun hobby machine but I wouldn’t rely on one for anything important.

4 Likes

Worth noting here that forward-delete keys work fine on Mac, they just aren’t included with Apple keyboards. fn-delete gets you the same effect - or for the emacs fans, ctrl-d. (In fact most simple emacs cursor movement and editing commands work in any system text field in macOS, or even iOS with an external keyboard - it’s pretty neat, but where is my vim command mode!? Oh right, no escape key :wink: )

1 Like