Did McDonald's change their Shamrock Shake mascot because of the IRA?

Originally published at: Did McDonald's change their Shamrock Shake mascot because of the IRA? | Boing Boing

7 Likes

In another example of the Mandela Effect, I’ve always thought these were the Good Friday Accords

3 Likes

I’m not sure the phasing out of a racial stereotype mascot needs an elaborate explanation. Even a monolithic corporation will eventually recognize which way the wind is blowing, and while 1986 wasn’t the height of political correctness, it was still a long way from the mid-70s.

9 Likes

Lucky Charms and Lucky the Leprechaun don’t seem to offend too many people. Also, I don’t think I would categorize that as a racial stereotype. Ethnic, maybe. Tomato, tomahto I suppose, but people of Irish descent haven’t been a marginalized group in the US for a very, very long time. Not that that makes everything ok, I’m just saying…this is not the same thing as the Land-O-Lakes butter maiden or Aunt Jemima.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Excuse Me Wow GIF by StickerGiant

That commercial had to be the result of drugs. Lots and lots of drugs.

7 Likes

(One of the weirder memories from my wasted youth. . . definitely a “WTF did I just watch?” moment if you didn’t live through the early 80’s of the New York/New England. The impetus for the Beastie Boys “Cookie Puss” EP prank call.)

4 Likes

Say nothing of the story, they CERTAINLY have changed the recipe!! It’s no longer “yum” and much more “what the?”

Lucky is, at least, technically a creature from folklore and not just some Irish guy (though arguably a big green fuzzy gumdrop is less of a “guy” than Lucky is, but whatever). I think Irish not being a marginalized group any more is exactly why Uncle O’Grimacy went away, while the examples you listed clung on for a few more decades. Counterintuitively, the more egregious the example and the more marginalized the group, the greater the outcry from entitled white assholes when a company tries to update their image and cull the offensive stereotypes.

3 Likes

Agreed. The flavor profile took a noticeable dive when they started adding Soylent Green to the mix.

4 Likes

That was a convoluted route to the punchline.

You’re just not a people person, are you.
Not that there is anything wrong with that.

3 Likes

Everyone has their own personal taste.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.