McDonald's apologizes for advertising "Sundae Bloody Sundae"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/31/mcdonalds-apologizes-for-adver.html

4 Likes

If they were referencing U2 they certainly should apologise: nobody needs to be reminded of that shit.

If it was Black Sabbath: carry on.

11 Likes

tumblr_nje75vixS71tr6ni8o1_500

20 Likes

36 Likes

If people don’t want puns made of the names given to government atrocities, they should quit making them the title and refrain of catchy songs.

3 Likes

I’m sure people will generally agree that when a Portuguese McDonald’s acts insensitively to the Irish they should at the very least apologise (and they did) and avoid doing it again, even if they weren’t intentionally doing it to offend.

“The campaign was intended as a celebration of Halloween, not as an insensitive reference to any historical event or to upset or insult anyone in any way. We sincerely apologise for any offence or distress this may have caused.”

It will be interesting to see if that basic idea carries over to any of the idiots making the inevitably bad costume choices we’ll see tonight. (Possible spoiler: I think noticeably more people will show up who say there’s nothing to apologise for.)

4 Likes
4 Likes

They knew what they were doing. The free media coverage was part of the plan from the start.

3 Likes

Of course for years in lots of American “Irish” bars, Black and Tans and Irish Car Bombs have been on the menu. But maybe that’s accepted because the owners tend to identify as Irish even if their families came here in the 19th century.

1 Like

That’s because Americans love to drink. That’s why you can have anti-Hispanic attitudes from a person who also goes out for Cinco de Mayo.

I am convinced that if Muslims created a holiday where they gave booze to non-believers as a peace offering, they would be more accepted into American culture, because you all are a bunch of drunks. :wink:

As for the article, wow, bad taste. If they had it just say “try our bloody sundae”, then fine. But Sundae Bloody Sundae obviously refers to the song, which refers to the event. I get that people sing or quote lyrics out of context, but really bad optics here.

3 Likes

Please tell me that is a photoshop job and not real. Please?

5 Likes

It has to be.

1 Like

To me, USAian to the core, this is the only “Black and Tan” I am familiar with:

But as noted above, we love our drinks here!

4 Likes

Then there’s this drink:

8 Likes

Yeah, never heard of that particular version, but my whole family is from Pittsburgh, where “shot and a beer” was pretty much a benediction.

5 Likes

Fucking morons.

Writing prompt: In the near future, outrage advertising has become so normalized that brand marketers take the next logical step…

2 Likes

I remember once hearing a very impression of Bono singing “Sundae, chocolate sundae” in a fake ad for McDonalds. “Right now at McDonalds you can get a delicious chocolate sundae for 99 cents. 80 cents of each delicious chocolate sundae sold goes to me, Bono Vox, and 19 cents from each delicious chocolate sundae goes to making more delicious chocolate sundaes.”

1 Like

Yes, that is why they pulled all the materials and canceled the promotion. This is exactly what they wanted. /s

2 Likes

There were 3 different Bloody Sundays in Ireland alone. And a host of others globally. Several related to the Holocaust.

It’s hard to think of too many phrases that loaded to dumb shit into your advertising.

4 Likes