McDonald's apologizes for advertising "Sundae Bloody Sundae"

Yeah, this was a meme a few years back. Subway isn’t that dumb…

Oh wait…Jared…

6 Likes

If it was somewhere else in the world, I might readily imagine that there was someone whose familiarity with pop music vastly exceeded the person’s knowledge of European history – but Portugal isn’t that far from Ireland.

See also:

1 Like

Layered, yet! I’m from Norn Iron, and I’ve seen a few Black and Tans ordered in pubs, and never saw one layered. Besides, It’s not a branded thing. You can make it with Guinness, you can make it with Mackeson, you can make it (gawd help us) with Tennant’s Sweet Stout if you really want. It’s a different animal if some money-grubbing company applies it to a product with the intent to get publicity. That’s wrong. It’s wrong for Black-and-Tan Ice cream, and it’s wrong for Sundae Bloody Sundae ice cream. It would be wrong if it was for shoes, jock-straps or washing powder. I’ve never seen anyone in Norn Iron order a car bomb (drink), and I think they would get some bloody funny looks (at very least) if they did.

5 Likes

It’s from the Onion.

6 Likes

They got news headlines around the world and then do the “tee hee, oops my bad.”

I remember a video game promotion where they would pay for the tombstone if someone put the name of their product next to the name of the deceased.

Due to the association with the brutal paramilitary group, I believe the same drink is referred to as a “Half & Half” in Ireland. Perhaps our resident experts like @robertmckenna can confirm or deny?

Half & Half is a coffee creamer here. If you ask for a pint of it you’re going to get some funny looks.

5 Likes
3 Likes

How long? How long must we sing this song?

2 Likes

For people testing the limits of their lactose intolerance?

1 Like

To be fair there’s only 7 days in the week, so there is a better than even chance that all of them have witnessed numerous atrocities.

2 Likes

So why is the sign not in Portuguese?

They shoulda known there’d be troubles with this idea.

5 Likes

I’ve always found it somewhat quizzical that the decades of atrocities and violence were given a name as understated as “The Troubles” - something the sounds more like the title of a dramatic coming of age YA novel than what it actually was.

2 Likes

Have you met many Irish? They still whisper “cancer” behind their hands like its a dirty word.

3 Likes

In the name of love, stop.

1 Like

That was one of numerous outrageous stunts perpetrated by Acclaim, specifically with Shadowman 2.

That their stunts are still remembered counts for something.

If this had happened in Ireland - burn them! But as it happened in Portugal, I find it hard to care much.

I definitely heard the term used for drinks when I was a kid (family pub owners in border counties on both sides). Sounds disgusting and I doubt many drank it. Doubt anyone would be offended (and I have family that were tortured, interned, and killed by them) its long ago.

Car bomb would not be cool though. I think.

3 Likes