Did you ever want to play questions?

Dangit, why is my Linksys E2000 wifi router so useless? Too old?
Can anyone recommend a not-super-fancy router to go with my new Cox cable internet service, and my newly-acquired ARRIS / Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem?

Did I just hear a statement from Cal Fire on NPR telling people to not fly their “drones” (quad-copters) over wildfire areas as they can interfere with firefighting aircraft? Are people really that self centered / stupid that they think getting aerial footage of a wildfire is something you can just go out and do on your own? Is this something that has already happened?

Can you elaborate on useless? Can you do it in question format?

Maybe we can put the nation’s capital on the sun?

1 Like

How many people think of mouse clicks by finger instead of left / right orientation? As a lefty, am I not curious about this? Maybe I should start a poll?

1 Like

CSB: I have driven a lot, and I mean a lot of miles in the UK, and even though I learned on manual transmissions I always rented automatics; until this last time–can you believe it?

I had been practicing, or miming really in my car what a mirror image transmission and gear box would drive like–left hand, all the way up and to the right for first and down and to the left for reverse–so believe me when I exclaimed the following phrase after discovering they are geared exactly the same as US cars, “WHAT THE HELL!?”

2 Likes

Have you seen any of the reviews of German cars like Audis built for the UK market where they complain about the clutch foot rubbing on the transmission tunnel? Did you expect the pedals to be backwards as well?

That I had figured out via , well, driving there over 10k miles (you wouldn’t flip pedals just for manuals and not automatics, would you?)

Have I mentioned I jumped one of these?

You wouldn’t rebuild the transmission either just for a different market right? Is the question that is in my head really when do people think of controls being translated along an axis vs flipped around one? Why do we each find one more natural than another? Do we find it more natural to use the mirror translation in some circumstances but not in others? … Did you really jump one of those?

1 Like

Oh,and my favorite thing about driving in the rural, farmland parts of the UK–unlike the US where the speed limit is the legal limit, did you know in rural parts the spped limit is the practical physical limit?

(60 km/h in Devon is fucking suicidal)

Wasn’t I just too excited to get back to Hermitage Castle?

http://www.marie-stuart.co.uk/images/Scotland/Hermitage3.jpg. (I also floated it across a flooded culvert (how am I still alive?))

1 Like

Doesn’t reach all the corners of our 1100 sq ft mansion?

Has it always had those range limitations? Is it possible something is shielding the signal or is the antenna maybe disconnected / broken? Shouldn’t most modern APs cover that area pretty handily?

1 Like

Did you expect the pedals to be reversed too?

Do you believe me when I say that driving a LHD manual was one of the oddest experiences I’ve had? (using your right hand to change gear?) And was taking a Peugeot 3007 up to its rated tire limit (190KM/H) on the autobahn not an especially safe feeling?

Did I not mention I put 10k in the isles before before grabbing a manual?

You did, but wouldn’t the same have applied the first time you drove any kind of RHD?

Haven’t I met Americans who were surprised the accelerator wasn’t the left pedal before?

Wasn’t one of the perks of occasionally going back to the UK on business being that as ‘Americans’ we were allowed to hire automatics, which meant Mercedes?

Did you know my ancestor James used to bide there? Troublesome times for the guy and Mary, don’t ch’know?

1 Like

People really expected the the gas to be on the left? Isn’t that the darndest thing? With all of the conditioning and habituation that comes with years of driving, wouldn’t switching the pedals be dangerous?

Range didn’t used to be a problem in the old apartment, but maybe the new place needs something stronger to get the signal through the walls?

Okay, I am prepared to be donalded. The most common gears, first thru third are easier when they are closer and you don’t have to telescope your arm. While RHD is fantastic, car companies should leave the pedals alone but mirror the gear box.

That is what threw me. BTW, isn’t the N67 on western Ireland the best. Road. Ever? 180kp/h is cool, but 60 kp/h on basically a legal rally course… Isn’t that more fun?