Dig this portable record player from 1966

I’ve seen conflicting stories as to why US 45s came with only the large hole, while 45s in the UK had a small hole that could be punched out to create a large hole. My experience was that automatic changers with an attachment for the large hole worked better than putting a stack of 45s fitted with the spiders on the standard auto spindle, but I don’t know how that would compare to a stack of UK 45s on a standard spindle.

ISTR that my record player had an adapter that fit over the small spindle to allow 45s to work with the changer.
In the days before alkaline batteries I’m guessing that the record would have been noticeably slowing down within two hours of play time…

Yes; they were generally either cylindrical or rectangular

and would fit over the spindle in such a way that the ‘changer’ part of the spindle would push the ledge on the attachment so that the record could fall. By the way, the one on the left would have been from a ‘portable’ Webcor phonograph like this one:

1 Like

Yeah, they look about the same size and spindle hole as the records that would come with my “read-along” picture books. Also, I’m old.

Rectangular-ish, but with a slight dogleg so that it could use the original dohickey on the thin spindle to push the next record off of the changer. It was a GE wildcat which was just a little fancy because it was STEREO…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.