Dilbert comic distributor cuts ties with creator

Originally published at: Dilbert comic distributor cuts ties with creator | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Good riddance all the same, but he has been saying things rooted in discrimination and hate for at least the last decade.

41 Likes

40 Likes

In a way I kind of understand how hard it would be for an Apartheid Boer slave-labor emerald baron to understand cultural integration. Things worked out really well for him before those pesky Africans gained rights. And, you know… every moment since then.

/s just in case.

21 Likes

Wow, he finally went too far.

I didn’t realize he was ranting on Youtube; I thought it was just his podcast. (I suspect he’s said nastier things on his podcast before and that no one wants to bother poking around in that.)

Are they going to keep paying him royalties? Is he already sufficiently set for life that he could stop drawing entirely either way? Is he going to keep drawing the strip as-is and hope people don’t notice, or will he take this opportunity to get completely unhinged and drive away more of his audience, like Mallard Fillmore or Cerebus?

11 Likes

Royalties for what? If they’re not get sold or published by the distributor, wouldn’t it total to $0? You’d have what’s left of the current reporting period, and that’s it.

10 Likes

Net worth currently between $50 and $75 million and a lot of his income is coming from residual licensing and merchandising deals along with side businesses.

9 Likes

It still blows me away that he paid a sum higher than the GDP of Serbia just to own a platform used to broadcast what a bigoted manbaby he is. I mean, he could have done that for free.

27 Likes

Has he been given a show on Fox"News" yet? As unfunny as Dilbert always was, it’s still funnier than Gutfeld.

9 Likes

Final nail in the coffin for his mainstream career. Good! Now hopefully a new cartoonist gets some space in the papers.

Although now I have a morbid curiosity about what a thoroughly aggrieved Adams, publishing comics without oversight, might have Dilbert and company say and do next. It’s going to be horrid. And not just the art.

14 Likes

In theory he might have been banned…and he did have “his people” boost his reach, in theory by fixing bugs, but hey if my paycheck depended on keeping him happy I would have described “nobody likes you so the algorithm is only bothering a subset of people with your mouth droppings” as “a bug” as opposed to saying something like “arguably it shouldn’t show anyone this crap, but enough people like it that I suppose it isn’t all that bad that a few people get it in the feed…”; I can’t argue that that is worth billions though. I mean, ok, I could but not with a straight face.

2 Likes

True-true (!) but probably more like Mallard then Cerebus.

A syndicated strip can keep running indefinitely, even after a significant change in tone because it lacks meaningful plot points. Imaginary Worlds podcast did a great mini-series on two classics:

Cerebus had a self-imposed limit. It stuck to it’s terrible change in tone, but at least it stopped reminding us of what was.

2 Likes

A buh-bye!

1 Like

will the USA Today network drop them, though? because they are still running in our local paper, and i’m pretty sure the local paper doesn’t have a say on what’s in there. i stopped reading him ages ago, but it would be nice to have him gone entirely.

1 Like

They said they were on Friday.

11 Likes

Oh no!

Anyway…

6 Likes

I have exactly what we need for this situation.

6 Likes

interesting! it was in today’s local paper, which is Gannett-owned. maybe they have some backlogged or something. i’m curious to see if it goes away this week accompanied by an official statement.

2 Likes

Behold:

13 Likes

I strongly suspect it’s this. In other papers, the editorial explaining why they dropped Dilbert also explained that readers would see x more strips because these were prepared in advance. After that, no more.

6 Likes