Dilbert comic distributor cuts ties with creator

The comics pages are typically printed a couple of weeks in advance. The Cleveland Plain Dealer explained that their digital comics pages will have a gray box instead of Dilbert but the hard copy was already done for the next 2 weeks.

6 Likes

So he started an onlybigots?

21 Likes

27 Likes

The Office Pam GIF by MOODMAN

8 Likes

He’ll end up on the Dark Web with all the other Nazi scum.

6 Likes

That’s what I’m talking about. In private comics he’ll get to go full bigot. Wouldn’t be surprised if he drops all pretense about the so-called humor in his comics and goes beyond what Dave Sims did in Cerberus.

6 Likes

I’m guessing that his distributor dropping Dilbert resets all the papers that were carrying it. Unless he works out another distribution setup, and some place really really wants to carry it, it’s flatlined.

6 Likes

Christ, what an asshole

… as they say, Adams has “fuck you money”

whereas Musk has “fuck everybody money”

17 Likes

and that four organisations. China, “Hillary Democrats”, radical Black Americans and Anifa all want to kill him.

im-sorry-do-i-know-you

9 Likes

Already answered, but yes. He’s set up, and he’ll get royalties for all the books, calendars, mugs and other whatnot being sold with his “art” on it. It sure whether that will continue or not, buy guess is that it will.

I haven’t been paying attention to Cerebus. Mallard Filmore was alway a lame duck, even when I was in grade school. But don’t know what was going on with the aardvark.

This’ll be interesting. I wonder how many office drones will want to pay for a strip that should have retired 25 years ago?

Rather than quit while he was ahead like Calvin and Hobbes or the Farside, he just kept going long past his best by date like Garfield, Hagar the Horrible, Andy Capp, and Beetle Bailey.

6 Likes

I’ve dropped Dilbert so many years ago I don’t even remember, albeit being the perfect target demographics for it.
It was unfunny, mean, and just plain boring and repetitive.
Years later, I stumbled on some stuff the guy wrote - what a self-righteous, entitled asshole.

The guy just got what he deserves - very, very late, unfortunately.
Ob XKCD

Is there a nostalgia emoji?
I’d add Bloom county - but I just googled it and it was restarted in 2015, had no notion of it!
I’m afraid to look at it, though.

5 Likes
10 Likes

“It begs the question, now that everyone is piling on him, what took so long?” said Keith Knight, an illustrator known for his comic strips The Knight Life, (th)ink and The K Chronicles.

This helps articulate my feelings about this whole thing. It’s not like Adams hasn’t shown everyone who he is multiple times before. The papers et al have only looked away because he makes them money (still not sure who cares about Dilbert post-90’s) and he’s not been quite so explicit, but he’s always been this and his hate has always been there. To be honest, it kind of pisses me off that repercussions only happen when someone is allowed to go this far.

10 Likes

TIL
I’m a long term comics fan but never, ever read any Cerebus. I’m sure I flipped open one of them some time or other in a shop and looked at the size and went “nope”.

This not reading looks set to continue.

7 Likes

Why would anyone sabotage their own careers this way?

When one has enough ‘Fuck You Money’ anything goes?

1 Like

I keep thinking of that famous quote about bankruptcy:

“How did you go bankrupt?” Bill asked.

“Two ways,” Mike said. “Gradually and then suddenly.”

(Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises)

7 Likes

11 Likes

This is different from the original post, but the system did not think so, so I added this header.

Well, leaving aside the fact that there is no organisation called ‘Antifa’, those who, like me identify as Antifa, ie anti-fascist, have no desire to want to kill him, he’s been given enough rope to kill his own career quite successfully. Thanks Scott, don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

8 Likes