Dildo throwing rebels hold Paiute artifacts hostage, refer to native peoples as "savages"

I think you’ll find, if you look at what I wrote, that I’m pretty clear about “feel” and “apparently” – While I clearly do not like the actions of the militant dumbasses, I share what I found interesting in the story… that the Burns Paiute don’t feel good about the occupation and ask the rightful government to handle it through proper legal channels.

I describe the militants by their actions. You can debate “sliding off a table” vs “throwing,” I will not join in.

11 Likes

well, I totally see that you would draw one line in one place, and another in another place. I happen to think the former is an escalation of the latter, but ymmv, naturally.

[snark warning] These acceptble ways of snarking, if you will, … they seem like rules… boundaries which would carve out some sort of virtual territory, a safe area reserved for the Snark. Would you care to set some more formal boundaries, in some sort of document we could all agree to? I entreat you! [/snark] :slightly_smiling:

well, you don’t see other peoples feelings as real then? Or maybe they have themjust to manipulate you? Steamroll on you crazy diamond.

1 Like

So if militants took over, say, one of the Smithsonian museums in Washington D.C. and denied the American public the right to view or participate in that part of our shared heritage, that wouldn’t be something to get upset over?

10 Likes

Another synonym for “speciesism” is enlightened self-interest.

1 Like

The Bundy Bozos cut a new road around the complex, without an EIR or following any of the other regulations about land-use in a National wildlife refuge. The Paiute apparently feel there was likely no damage, however the Bumbling Bundys clearly didn’t consider the possibility and it is blind luck they didn’t roll through some heritage site. They just wanted to make it easier for their women and child folk to move around in the mud of a National wildlife refuge.

8 Likes

And let’s not forget this whole fiasco began in defense of two guys who committed arson on Federal land to cover up evidence of illegal hunting. So there wasn’t much reason to expect these guys to show deference for the land even before they installed that road.

8 Likes

That part was tongue in cheek. I’m not really concerned about “throwing” vs “sweeping”.

It’s actual words from their current website - http://hccommitteeofsafety.org/responsibility-of-the-committee.html

They’re not quoting anybody – they’re providing context. There is a sentence that uses the word “Indians”, and another sentence that uses the word “savages.” Both in a contemporary website that is not quoting anything directly.

8 Likes

I would fear for their safety (from the Feds) if they did.

1 Like

Feelings are massively overrated.

Actual expositions, or the not-shown warehoused stuff? If the latter, why not just wait it out? Why getting upset over something that you can not influence? Do you enjoy being upset?

Thanks for the link. Considering the context, the word may be an allusion to its usage in the Declaration of Independence. If asked, they might even try to distinguish between “good Indians” (i.e., those friendly and acquiescent to whites) and “bad/savage” ones (those who recognized the imminent threat of, ha, illegal aliens) – pretty much the way some defend their usage of another nasty racist slur.

None of which would make their usage any more defensible, of course.

5 Likes

So the only reason you have sex is to make babies?

1 Like

You don’t have to respect them. You also do not have to disrespect them.

10 Likes
7 Likes

huh.

by the

though

3 Likes

How many cultures can one group of white nuts offend, misrepresent and appropriate in one occupation? They’ve already pissed off Native Americans, they tweeted some pretty tone-deaf things about Martin Luther King’s birthday and the Black Lives Matter movement, and now they are apparently on track to annoy Jewish people:

You may know the shofar as a musical instrument of Jewish antiquity, traditionally blown in synagogues during Rosh Hashanah—but did you know that right now, in the frozen hinterland of the Pacific Northwest, the Oregon militiamen are blowing the HORNS OF FREEDOM as we speak?

SHARE UPDATE BURNS OREGON! CHRISTIANS THE BATTLE TRUMPET HAS BEEN SOUNDED TIME TO RISE! CALL TO ACTION SEND IN THE TROOPS TO STAND WITH US IN BURNS OREGON!

“Christian battle trumpets.” Huh.

7 Likes

So the ends justify the means, then? Gotcha.

1 Like

No, they didn’t. The quote was taken from a website written in 2015/2016–do we still refer to people belonging to Native American tribes as “savages”? No. Of all the ways to phrase that sentence, they chose the words they did. Would it be okay for us, in a historical context of course, to use “nigger” in the phrase taken from wikipedia below?

The earliest African-American congregations and churches were organized before 1800 in both northern and southern cities following the Great Awakening. By 1775, Africans made up 20% of the population in the American colonies, which made them the second largest ethnic group after the English...

No, it wouldn’t. No twisting of words needed–they’re dumbass armchair lawyers who don’t want to pay the fines they owe to the federal government.

12 Likes