Director Justin Lin departs from Fast X

Originally published at: Director Justin Lin departs from Fast X | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I’m a confirmed motor head, these movies are crap, please stop making them.

6 Likes

What You Did There, I See It - Things I See Pie Chart

Also, while I’ve never seen any of them (no hate, just not my cuppa tea), am I the only one who sees that title and immediately reads it as Fasten?

6 Likes

Don’t you mean Tokyo Drifted?

5 Likes

In Hollywood-speak, “creative differences” usually means “a lot of screaming and possibly death threats were involved,” and “the parting was amicable” means “we didn’t have a protracted legal fight over it.” Whenever I see that explanation, I assume either some movie-ruining scandal is about to hit the director and they didn’t want his name on it, or - far more likely - the director was so badly treated by the studio that for their own health and sanity they stepped down.

I understand they were days away from filming, so I’m guessing some sort of shit happened in this case to cause this change of heart.

3 Likes

Well, yes. Have been that way for most of the franchise. It’s not about the cars, it’s about the soap opera grade drahma. :wink:

(source: my roomie is a fan of the franchise, not for the cars but the plotz.)

2 Likes

I’m assuming it was over the studios refusal to name the project “fasten your seatbelts” and the director cannot work under these conditions.

4 Likes

I gather that you are not a minor and therefore not the target audience.

A reviewer for Ars Technica took one for the team and watched the first 8 movies:

1 Like

I have never watched any of them, but I am happy to live in a world where a movie series can go from a gang of street racers stealing a truck full of DVD players in movie one to those same characters going to space in movie nine.

2 Likes

Wait- they went to space?! I watched the first one and genuinely enjoyed it, but then like Devin basically walked out of the second and never looked back.

I followed some of the off-screen drama with bemusement, like when Michelle Rodriguez was kicked off the cast for being an insufferable person, but it was right before shooting the next one and they didn’t have time properly sunset her character. So they literally killed her over the phone in the opening scene of the next movie. Rumor is she thought they’d never cut her so close to shooting so she didn’t care about what she said or did. It’s one of the greatest bird-flippings to an actor in cinematic history. Of course then she came back three movies later or something so I don’t know how they explained that.

Also all this is gossip so maybe none of it is true (except where they killed her in a phone call- that did happen).

3 Likes

It seems so

4 Likes

Holy shit what did I just watch. Devin wasn’t kidding- those movies have….changed. This is like some kind of super-Poe satire of satire of itself? I can’t even process this.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.