Director of Wonder Woman on why the word "cheesy" is banned from her world

I suspect the theaters will be full of women and girls already :wink:

8 Likes

I’ll always treasure Jon Stewart’s response to that proclamation: “Why couldn’t puns have died?”

9 Likes

Yes, well, in Sir Philip’s day a printing press was bleeding-edge technology. He actually wrote “poesy”, not literature, because poetry was more everyday in his time, but he was taping about stories. Doesn’t matter if it’s a book or a film or reciting something while making shadow figures on a cave wall.

9 Likes

The only way they were gonna avoid the alt-right backlash was if they opened and closed with Wondy giving Batfleck a blowjob. Goobers Gonna Goob.

5 Likes

Speak for yourself please. There’s a long tradition of superheros fighting for justice, including social justice. Remember most of them got their start fighting Nazis.

23 Likes

oh my god this is the best covfefe ever. ty! :joy:

5 Likes

It’s definitely an n word!

3 Likes

I prefer to call my apartment The Sanctum.

Women, of course, are more than welcome!

IKR, I declared on my FB that Campbell one this meme war.

7 Likes

Has anyone ever noticed that in the original Day the Earth Stood Still Patricia Neal also mispronounces this quote? Michael Rennie tells her to say it one way, but she says it another way in a later scene.

6 Likes

https://www.supermanhomepage.com/comics/comics.php?topic=articles/new-deal-symbol

5 Likes

Being annoyingly literal, as usual, it bothers me because I don’t understand what it has to do with actual cheese.

Kid: That’s kind of cheesy…
Me: Do you like pizza?
Kid: Yeah, of course.
Me: Then STFU.

2 Likes

To some of the above commentary regarding WW just being entertainment vs having a social message the only question I ask is…can’t it do both?

Now I understand the perspective of “I go to the movies to be entertained”. We all enjoy a good popcorn flick…my personal one is Starship Troopers, but there are plenty of examples and in terms of superhero flicks specifically The Avengers movies are a great example of this. They are fun and entertaining. Indeed I think this is at the heart of why the Marvel movies have been better than the DC movies…they are fun! They remain bright and lighthearted with a good mix of humor to go along with the action. The best moment of humor in BvS was “I thought she was with you.” Which is a complete and utter failure in writing (MARTHA!!! WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME!!!).

However, Marvel’s movies collectively are not just better than DC’s…they are HEAD AND SHOULDERS AND MOUNT EVEREST BETTER, because they provide overall good social messages and character/relationship development on top of that fun roller coaster ride.

Yes, a flick like Starship Troopers can just entertain me. As can Fast and the Furious, The Hangover, The Transporter, Tremors, Down Periscope, Failure to Launch, pretty much every Arnold Schwarzenegger flick. But movies can be so much more…Captain America: The Winter Soldier is so much more than just entertaining! Ant-man is so much more! Logan is much more! Guardians of the freaking Galaxy only he didn’t say freakin is so much more! How about the Incredibles!!! Its a super hero flick. Its an animated superhero flick…and it is so very very VERY much more.

For every 12 Years a Slave there is going to be a mindless popcorn counterpart. That’s ok, and it’s good. Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates doesn’t teach you anything…its stupidly funny on many levels, but I didn’t walk away from it a better person. In fact I may have walked away dumber for having watched it. But it was fun and worth the 2 hours to laugh like a 13yr old at the stupidity. The Birdcage is required watching in my household! REQUIRED! Because it is one of the funniest films ever made, brilliantly acted by every single person involved, and tells an incredible story and powerful message of how we should define what a loving family is!

I am sure since WW is a superhero flick there will be moments of action or dialogue that will warrant the use of the word “cheesy”, the genre is defined by its POWS and ZAPS. It doesn’t mean the film has t be defined by it. It can be more than just entertaining. It can also carry a great message. I am looking forward to seeing it, and I hope one of my favorite heroes does deliver.

12 Likes

Kinda thought this one had a social message.

15 Likes

Hell, Superman himself was created as a SJW:

Jewish-Americans were long at the forefront of social justice movements. They fought alongside labor movements to protect the poor, suffragettes attempting to gain gender equality, and other progressive causes. This continued into the 1930s when Siegel and Shuster were writing Superman. As Harry Bond writes in his book, Superman is Jewish?, “That generation recognized in the New Deal what they saw as traditional Jewish values. Superman’s costume was cut from that same cloth.” In his earliest adventures, Superman is often seen fighting corrupt politicians, perpetrators of domestic violence, and evil landlords. In other words, Superman fights on behalf of social justice. He exemplifies the three pillars of Judaism.

16 Likes

It did, although conservatives who didn’t get Verhoeven’s satire or understand his background walked away with the opposite message he intended to send (one closer to Heinlein’s, although he wasn’t one to glorify fascism, either).

10 Likes

you know, the book does, but its less a social message and more a social commentary/critique. I think it is debatable if Verhoeven delivered on that in the film adaption. Having watched it about 100 times, I just find it entertaining and hold it as a popcorn flick. That is of course subjective.

4 Likes

Well, Verhoeven certainly didn’t deliver Heinlein’s message, but I think there still was one.

7 Likes

Oh dammit now I just spit out my coffee. Well done!

3 Likes

Yep, anyone who uses irony now is worse than a certain 1930s dictator.

3 Likes

I respectfully disagree. I think superheros, much like sci-fi, came out of an idea of entertaining while driving home a specific social point. Now, I do note that some media does it better than others, and you shouldn’t ruin an entertaining story by trying to beat us over the head with your point (which fits a lot of genres). It is possible to entertain and yet still lead by example.

Remember, Superman and Captain America started out punching Nazis, and X-Men is about the civil rights movement.

10 Likes