Director of Wonder Woman on why the word "cheesy" is banned from her world

But what if mad scientists want to send her cheesy movies, the worst they can find? How will they be able to make her sit and watch them all while they monitor her mind?

6 Likes

I think the intended satirical message got hidden by Verhoeven’s style (which I enjoy when I need to plow through some popcorn and enjoyed a lot as a youth due to female anatomy and explosions). I get it more now that I’m a bit older.

It also snuck in a bunch of women fighting alongside men without making a pretense and thanks to lower internet adoption then, the MRA types had no audience to whine at. More importantly, though, it led to a great Futurama episode.

6 Likes

In her defense, he was probably hard to understand with all that congestion. He was ill.

1 Like

Heinlein, Douglas Adams, and Kurt Vonnegut all had similar voices and wrote outstanding social commentaries and it is extraordinarily rare that a director can capture their spirits on film.

4 Likes

Unless you’re working for Trump.Whistle while you work!

4 Likes

12 Likes

12 Likes

Damn it Batman I know you are not gay but this doesn’t help my case… oh hell I give up.

10 Likes

You know, I really wish there was a superhero team that could gather up all the weapons in the world (along with munitions factories) and destroy them.

5 Likes

Long ago I figured out why God (or whatever divinity you believe in) never granted my youthful wishes of “please just give me supermans powers”.

Because I now know all I’d do is fly around the world lobotomizing select people with my heat vision.

7 Likes

Plus, you know, Joss Whedon.

Who, as it so happens, does an excellent job of fitting action/humor/message in one, cohesive package, again and again.

3 Likes

“Frankly, Wonder Woman is psychological propaganda for the new type of woman who, I believe, should rule the world.” - William Moulton Marston creator of Wonder Woman.

Here’s another quote from Wonder Woman’s creator:
“Not even girls want to be girls so long as our feminine archetype lacks force, strength, and power. Not wanting to be girls, they don’t want to be tender, submissive, peace-loving as good women are. Women’s strong qualities have become despised because of their weakness. The obvious remedy is to create a feminine character with all the strength of Superman plus all the allure of a good and beautiful woman.”

Basically, if social messages and commentary were left off the dance floor then Wonder Woman wouldn’t exist.

The Nib does a great job of very quickly telling how Wonder Woman was created and how she changes so often through the eras.

16 Likes

I guess that means the DC Cinematic Universe isn’t going to be introducing Condiment King any time soon.

6 Likes

No. Joss has only worked on the avengers flicks. Which are the least character driven of all the marvel flicks.

I think the person you’d want to credit is Kevin Feige.

2 Likes

She has her own world? And can ban words from it?

Gosh, to be a Hollywood insider. They get all the perks. A whole world! I can barely afford an apartment.

(Couldn’t resist.)

Wait, Superman is one of the gun-grabbers? It all makes sense now! When we freedom lovers are disarmed, we will be helpless to defend ourselves! Just like Hitler! A flying, bulletproof Hitler!

3 Likes

I see Star Wars as more of a space western.

I disagree. For me, the medium is very important. Dune makes a pretty muddy movie but the books are a lot of fun. The difference between what you can do with a movie and what you can do with a book is quite stark in my view.

Like I said, I’m excited to see it when I have a chance.

Not everything is a socio political issue of oppression and subjugation. Some things are purely fun. For you perhaps, a deeper meaning is important. For others, the spectacle is the escape they need.

Many of the replies to my original post do a good job of defending the comic book superhero and the social messages they have long explored. I’m not here to argue that point. It’s one I agree with. Comic books are a wonderful medium for social justice. I am specifically referring to superhero movies and the pure joy of spectacle. I’m not saying you can’t make a superhero movie with a social message. I’m saying the best of the genre, in my view, are the movies where they stuck with one thing and did it well.

1 Like

That’s confusing medium, structure, content, and interpretation. The medium is important, but not like that. Dune didn’t have to be a muddy movie. A future adaptation may well not be.

Michael Winterbottom’s adaptation of Tristram Shandy was largely considered successful, after all. If someone can adapt that, the sky’s the limit.

8 Likes

Maybe its because I am a woman that I have a different point of view… but just the very act of having a super hero be a woman is a socio-political act. To have a woman be the protagonist is literally the dream of every woman I know. This is literally the thing that made me a feminist was I was eyeballs deep in my 20 something “cool girl” phase and had no female friends only male because because other women were “drama” - the thing that made me start to realize that maybe just maybe there was something to this feminism thing was because I got tired of seeing movies with no women in them. And by women I didn’t mean the sexy/maternal set dressings of dead-wife, hooker (alive or dead) or waitress. I wanted a female protagonists so hard so bad and they just did not exist. Not in the big epic action pictures that I loved. And I got so tired of only seeing women as love interests, or dead. What is this weird hollywood world where half the population of the planet simply doesn’t exist? I don’t understand how men can watch movies with NO WOMEN in it and find it realistic. (I mean, I have a theory about this but thats more for the Gendered Objectification thread)

So no, nothing is ever “just fun”. Everything is built on and out of our society. And our society is racist and classist and sexist and ableist. If your “just fun” movie stars only men, its not just fun for women. If your “just fun” movie is set in NYC but stars only white people, its not just fun for POC. Nothing is “just fun” everything has deeper meaning.

I wish movies could be just fun, I really do, that sounds nice, pleasant. But they’re not for me, and I doubt they ever will be.

30 Likes

That game was lost before it started. Unless you have Kryptonian guns.

4 Likes