Discovering William Shatner's first spoken word album in a bakery

Originally published at: Discovering William Shatner's first spoken word album in a bakery | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Leonard Nimoy…

I also have a copy of this, though it cost nearly as much to ship as the album costs and it took months to get to us…

Worth it.

11 Likes

ezgif.com-gif-maker (1)

5 Likes

I personally prefer Nimoy’s (actual) singing over Shatner’s. But what crazy bakery plays any of this in the background (presumably)?

2 Likes

2016-03-19B-380x480

4 Likes

My first run in with the William Shatner oeuvre was with the Golden Throats CDs. I mean, just look at this lineup! Shatner! Nimoy! Jack Webb singing a version of Try A Little Tenderness so lifeless it he should treat it like a homicide on Dragnet!

5 Likes

I agree about Has Been. I bought a copy, and have no regrets.

3 Likes

HAS BEEN is, as noted, a good album (although it’s from ‘04, not ‘07), but I’ll be that guy and claim that TRANSFORMED MAN is not devoid of merit — the Cyrano reading for example, which is well done right up until it drives at highway speed into the bollard of Shat’s rendition of “Mr Tambourine Man”.

1 Like

Henry Rollins has an amazing story about recording I can’t get behind that with Shatner. And it’s a genuinely fantastic song to boot.

I dare you to find a human being more in love with themselves, I triple dog dare you.

One of them was president of the United States for four miserable years. Shatner at least is capable sometimes of self-awareness and engaging in self-deprecation. From the song that lorcan_nagle mentioned:

“I can’t get behind so-called singers that can’t carry a tune, get paid for talking, how easy is that? …Well, maybe I could get behind that!”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.