Dislikes About The Likes Button

My biggest issue with this is that likes with not replies or replies with no likes are in exactly the same place on a post.

The “likes widget” should have its own place and the “replies widget” should have its own place. That way, I can see at a glance if something has been liked or replied to or both. As it currently stands, I can’t tell that. The current system does not help me.

8 Likes

Or perhaps color them differently, or just find some way to differentiate them visually, please.
As it is, there’s that moment of, “hey someone has something to say about this person’s awesome/ridiculous/brilliant/idiotic statement” only to look again and see “oh, it’s just likes.”
Just make them not so so similar looking, and in at least slightly different (and consistent) places.

8 Likes

atta boy
[Edit: Wait, where is edked’s reply count?]

1 Like

Reply counts only show up if there is another post between a given post and any reply. Again, intuitiveness takes a back seat to style

2 Likes

Reply counts only show up if there is another post between a given post and any reply.

Did not know that.

Exactly. It’s that “smart guy who’s smart in specific areas, but weirdly… blocked in others” kind of coder-think that places a blinkered concept of “elegance” above all other considerations, resulting in that odd obliviousness to user experience we’re all so used to coming up against on seemingly a daily basis.

2 Likes

Agreed. It’s confusing.

2 Likes

Did you revert the like / reply buttons or is a different page served to iOS devices versus desktop PCs? Take a look at the site comments on an iPhone and you’ll see how it should look … Pls fix the site to replicate that on all platforms kthxbye

1 Like

Another vote for moving the Likes over, so as not to be confused with Replies.

In a long thread my instinct is to open the Replies pulldown on interesting/controversial posts. Now, 70% of the time that I do that I realize it was just the Likes pulldown instead.

This isn’t just about being confused by new UI — it’s a problem that won’t go away and will require me to stop and read the words each and every time, because sometimes it’s a Likes pulldown and sometimes it’s a Replies pulldown.

We chunk words when we read, we chunk symbols in UI. Two UI widgets should not look identical and occupy the exact same place on the screen, and necessitate reading the words to distinuishi them, because we don’t naturally read the words, we chunk it into “That pulldown that I use.”

I don’t buy the argument that we should view replies as “low-level likes.” On BB, at least, I see very few “Me too!”'s, but for a controversial post I usually see several replies. I typically click on the Replies pulldown to check if the community has basically presented my viewpoint, allowing me to avoid adding my own redundant reply, which would only clutter up the thread (the very thing you’re wanting to avoid).

7 Likes

Yup. Checking out the replies to a post is a do-it-all-the-time type action, while checking out who exactly liked a post is a curio at best. They should never be side by side and identical in design.

2 Likes

Good news! Based on aggregated feedback processed by our Automated Customer Feedback System, the central office has elected to make these changes:

• Likes moves next to the like button :heart:
  • Drop the down chevron next to Likes

So, this means Replies has uncontested real estate and the action and reaction are closer together. We also get to kill off a glyph which is always nice.

It is going to be a lot more similar to the way mobile works, as pointed out by a Valued Community Member in the above posts.

15 Likes

sounds perfect! remember no one LIKES change! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

speaking of disliking change: i still use only the BBS or http://boingboing.net/page/1 and cannot stand the regular homepage how new items scroll off of one side and not the other and continuing to the next page doesn’t cohesively line up with what you’ve already seen in both columns. it is so bad as to be painful, whereas the old page was perfect in form and function.

1 Like

OK all, how are the latest round of changes?

1 Like

Not exactly, and here’s a very early Alpha of Discourse to show you why that is.

I’m just sayin’

I just found myself wondering for about a minute who :heart: was, why he/she is liking everything and why the heck can’t I get any info on him/her.
Figured the answer was in this thread.

Oh well.

3 Likes

Probably should suppress on mobile, assume you were on mobile when that happened

Threading properly would solve that :wink:

1 Like

Ugh. My likes are now on the right.

#SO CONFUSED

the impatient whiners are running the assylum

poor @sam

1 Like

The Revolutionary Vanguard has no time for your bourgeois acquiescence.

1 Like