Disney is mooting an overnight Star Wars LARP resort

Michael Crichton’s Westworld was actually inspired by the animatronic attractions at Disneyland. His screenplay was written in 1972, about five years after Pirates of the Caribbean opened to the public.

The novel and movie The Stepford Wives were written around the same time and specifically mentioned that members of the evil conspiracy had been former amusement park engineers.

5 Likes

At least you can tell us if all of our fanboy dreams have come true and V.I.N.CENT and B.O.B. from The Black Hole will be revealed as part of the canon Star Wars universe.

3 Likes

Agreed about P&F. I left it unmentioned deliberately.

They can bill me.

1 Like

Not sure if you’ve tried the newer Pirate’s League stuff in Magic Kingdom, but it’s similar. Nowhere near as elaborate, but cute.

The Ghost Post subscription they did last year was some of the neatest storytelling I’ve seen them pull off… in mailers, no less. And it culminated in an in-park experience for Disneyland guests. Super cool.

3 Likes

Pirates League seems like something we should try. We have been to some Haunted Mansion events, which are very cool, but have been expensive. The 2003 999 Happy Haunts Celebration, as an example. But we always have a good time.

2 Likes

I love the idea simply for the possibility of LARP having evolved from a bunch of “weirdos” (me and my friends running around in the dark in winter in Scotland pretending to be vampires) to a monetized luxury activity. The potential irony is so rich.

3 Likes

#me so happy you be choosing to stay with us…

4 Likes

Aaaaaaaaaaaaagh!!!

1 Like

“Hey there, buddy, I’m amazed to see you up and about after the amount of time you spent on the adult cable channel last night.”

5 Likes

Mostly used to measure the area your remains get splattered over when you fail to brake at the end of the Kessel run.

2 Likes

Wow. Took a while to pan out, but good call!

1 Like

It is an almost universal human desire. People just need an excuse to dress up and go for it.

1 Like

"The game would be run by Swagbucks, which is weird, because they’re a customer-loyalty program provider, not a LARP-running company."
Sooo… I’d be LARPing to be a loyal Disney customer?

1 Like

I have to own up to something.

I’m a big Star Wars fan. I have all the movies, I have a bookshelf full of books, I grinned like an idiot when the First Order stormtroopers walked by at Hollywood Studios, got giddy looking at Rogue One props, and felt a thrill of excitement getting on Star Tours, back in December.

But what I really wish for is a more professional version of this.

I realize they tried to build a DS9/First Contact era attraction in Vegas, and they shut the thing down about the time I could finally go to the thing. But man, I would love to go to a TNG-era attraction especially if it was a helmet-free version of Bridge Crew. I’d pay money to get a tutorial, take a bridge station, and do my part.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Can “Dream Park” be far off? If so, bagsy me be the Dwarf

1 Like

Considering how badly CBS and Paramount bungled the 50th anniversary, that would probably be a good thing.

And judging by how they handled the Lucasfilm deal, they’d probably bring in whatever offices and staff were devoted to Star Trek, and put Dorothy Fontana, Nicholas Meyer, Ira Steven Behr, and Ronald D. Moore in charge.

1 Like

Moot, the point is.