Disney sues Florida governor Ron DeSantis, claiming government harassment

Angela Lansbury Popcorn GIF

9 Likes

Unfortunately, they must’ve been outnumbered by the folks who re-elected DeathSantis last year. I’m sure the local press will make it clear how much this will cost the entire state… :roll_eyes:

12 Likes

Considering Florida’s sunshine laws, it’s probably available already although I know he’s trying to change the law to hide his stuff.

It would be very good to know how much all his travel around the country and to foreign countries, plus shipping of immigrants around the country, plus his multiple legal battles to fight obvious unconstitutional/unenforceable laws costs.

I bet it’s quite a bit more than he spent on, say, Ft Lauderdale relief, considering he never even visited after the most recent destruction.

11 Likes

i mean, in this case disney is right. you don’t want government singling out companies based on their support for human rights.

there is a separate issue of companies being both protected and held exempt from laws that affect regular people. this is not that.

honestly, de santis’s day to day behavior, and the laws that the gop in florida have been passing, suck much worse for the people of florida than the cost of this lawsuit.

if there’s a hope of tarnishing his reputation, or reigning in the gop – even a little bit – it’ll be money well spent.

19 Likes

“relentless campaign to weaponize government power”

Well, yeah - and not even the only case where DeSantis is doing so; when it comes to using state power to punish people for their speech, DeSantis has gone full fascist. No one else seems to be interested/able to take him to task for this, which would make it pretty funny if Disney was the one that did so. It’s like some comedy cyberpunk dystopia…

15 Likes

I recall Beau of the Fifth Column a few months ago saying words like “I don’t know if you’ve ever had the pleasure of meeting a Disney lawyer, so let me tell you: I’ve met piranhas with more compassion.”

10 Likes

7 Likes

Hey MoRon!

11 Likes

A bit off topic, but you might want to read “Jennifer Government” by Max Barry. Brings company towns and power into the near future.

10 Likes

thank you! that comment lifted me like you see me here, trying.
bless you!

emphasis added**

11 Likes

I’m in PA, where we’ve been outnumbered many times, too. Things are finally going from purple to blue in my area, so I feel your pain! Change is possible, it just takes time and effort. :fist:t4:

12 Likes

Jennifer better make a one off guest spot on Daredevil-Born Again. The material needs a little levity, Maslany is everywhere, and the power of Charlie Cox’s grin cannot be denied.

3 Likes

“He’s a supervillain AND a lawyer. That’s like a shark with a grenade launcher!”
-Dr. Mrs.The Monarch.

9 Likes

He may believe that of himself and basing his WH ambitions on that: Smarter than Trump and playing the laws-be-damned rasict bigoted strongman? It’s gotta work… right?

7 Likes

About time their own projection was turned against them.

6 Likes

Please say Mar a Largo is one of them.

5 Likes

There are some special rules for that. I think it got the zoning on the deal that it’s not a permanent residence. There seems to be a bit of a violation of that…

2 Likes

I feel like deep in the Everyman Repiblican brain is a twisted but intentionally cultivated idea that corporations are actually more responsive to their customers, and therefore better than government. I.e. Government controls constituents taxpayers whereas corporations serve their customers.

In that context particularly I love the idea that Disney - having more customers demanding equality (hence their stance) than DeSantis has bigoted constituents - is “serving” up a dish they don’t like, and they feel “underrepresented”. Feels like another “play stupid games” moment where Republican ideology is just shitting on the hand that feeds it.

ETA: clarity, complete sentences.

7 Likes

That really underscores how effective the snowjob really is, though. I mean, most people’s experiences with corporate bosses prove they don’t give a damn about workers. Also, consumers are increasingly treated like crap after businesses make a sale. That leads to more people exposed to the flaws in customer service/repair/maintenance since the quality of products seems to be declining, but the prices keep going up. :woman_shrugging:t4:

6 Likes

We’ve discussed the 20% LGBTQ+ in Gen Z, all of whom have friends, family and others who are not willing to abandon them. They are rapidly approaching the end of their power, and they know that. Corporations will go where the money is, and it ain’t with the Nazis. Go Fash, No Cash.

7 Likes