Disney tells Florida to F*** off

Agreed. Cory Doctorow used to out this best when simultaneously calling out the marvels of Disney Imagineering while simultaneously condemning the evils of their media decisions, especially around copyright and fair use.

Megacorps are too big to look at in black-and-white. This is, of course, also true of governments, as well - I have met some wonderful people working for the FL government since I’ve moved here, as well as some institutions within that government that are run with efficiency and, dare I say it, with a focus on serving the communities they are responsible for.

The RCID, from everything I can tell, appears to be a net positive for the nearby counties by allowing Disney to Disney without affecting the counties bottom line while also improving the region as a whole. This petty fight from DeSantis seems to have both overlooked that fact and inadvertently given a billion-dollar bailout to Disney that they didn’t ask for. It’s dumb. And while I hope voters will remember this ordeal and act accordingly the current political climate of hyper-partisanship probably makes that a pipe dream, too.

19 Likes