Disney to stop auctioning off women

So the alternative solution, of having the pirates sell slave boys too, was considered and rejected?Ah, probably just as well.

4 Likes

While it’s nice that Red gets to be a pirate now, I just can’t believe that with all the pirate movies they’ve done so far they still haven’t done anything with the real-life badass characters Anne Bonny and Mary Read. How do they not have their own big-budget movie yet??

20 Likes

Spoiler Alert: The movie ends with the two friends deliberately sailing their ship off the edge of the Grand Canyon rather than surrendering to the British Navy.

29 Likes

3 Likes

Same. I collected every trading pin I could depicting her wonderful art.

2 Likes

You might have an argument if there was an equivalent to the Bosman and Webster rulings for slaves.

Well there was “The Surprisingly Curvaceous Pirate” in “Pirates, an Adventure with Scientists,” but that was Aardman not Disney

1 Like

Huh. I had no reference for that artist in my consciousness. Thanks!

2 Likes

How to withstand “It’s a Small World”: Go in the winter, at night.

At night, the Small World facade gets a digitally projected lightshow that is entertaining to watch while you wait in line. During the winter season, Small World gets Christmas-themed and the interminable Small World song gets interrupted by equally ear-wormy Christmas songs. These songs cancel each other out.

Whatever you do, don’t say “the hell with this” and try to wade out of the middle of the ride like my dear departed father-in-law did.

13 Likes

I think after how well the movie with Blackbeard went down I think we should be glad they haven’t.

That’s key. Contrary to many Disney franchises, Pirates of the Caribbean isn’t made for kids, so making attractions based on it in a family-friendly fashion is far from straightforward. At least it requires not being lazy.

The franchise was based on the theme park attraction, not the other way around.

10 Likes

Realistic Pirate Sex.

3 Likes

I never knew about it, and now it’s gone.

Oops, forgot about that.

I know someone who read the court documents regarding Anne Bonny and Mary Read, and believes that they were not pirates but petty thieves who happened to be tried on the same day as some pirates. She doesn’t have a problem with the idea of women having been pirates, it’s just this one case.

1 Like

It wasn’t the first or only time a Disneyland attraction was adapted into a feature film, but the “Pirates” franchise holds the record for the most good movies based on a Disneyland attraction. (Which is one. One good movie.)

4 Likes
15 Likes

Maybe they can arrange it so that the pirates are all sitting quietly listening to a feminist lecture series.

3 Likes

This is beyond a “Politically Correct” issue, it’s an issue about what Disney feels it may be inadvertently teaching its youngest guests when they see images of women being sexualized and sold at auction.

OK, “Politically correct” is an epithet directed entirely at attempts to make public interaction less assholish, so I fail to see how these are different things. The change will be deemed “PC culture” by assholes, regardless of this attempt by Disney to distance itself from the term–so don’t bother. It’s intellectually dishonest.

Disney has clearly decided they need to act on the moral issue over sentimentality.

I’m glad. I have no sympathy for people who feel sentimental about rapiness. Learn a different way to be.

4 Likes