Disney to stop auctioning off women

"Broflake off the Starboard Bow!!"

20 Likes

Maybe Disney trying to convince children that pirates are the good guys is also not the greatest example?

2 Likes

Would it help if the refreshments were softboi cookies and punch made from male tears?

I’m trying to fight fire with fire here. If the joke is falling flat, someone (Melz, Jilly, etc.) please PM me and I’ll try to remove it.

5 Likes

I don’t think the idea is “Pirates should act like good role models” but rather “women being sold into sexual slavery is not an appropriate subject to play for laughs in a family-oriented theme park attraction.”

11 Likes

Is there a connection between the attempted escape and his subsequent demise?

9 Likes

What??? I see no way that would come back to bite them in the rump.

2 Likes

That’s not really fair.

It comes down to this: in the modern era, what is the pirates ride? IMHO, It’s an homage to (and inception of, but that’s not relevant here) a fantastical world of pirates and beasts mostly bugging each other but also occasionally doing some terrible “pirate-y” things. Nowhere does it say those pirate-y things need involve slavery or sexism, having those elements really has nothing to do with the movie franchise it both spawned and supports.

You’d have an argument if the movies reinforce those ideals, but they really don’t, so the modern interpretation of the ride really shouldn’t either AFAIAC.

8 Likes

“Scrape 'im off, Jim!”

13 Likes

/pedant Actually, many pirates weren’t in it to kill off everyone. If the ships they caught were cooperative, they took the booty and let the passengers go; swag doesn’t fight back and the governments of plundered ships look very dimly on stealing their subjects for sale. OTOH, there were pirates who did indeed run slave ships, or ransom passengers.

7 Likes

I have suggested to a few Disney-Pirate lovers that perhaps in 200 years, terrorists will be thought of as cute. Because that’s basically what pirates were, 18th-century terrorists. The pirate lovers didn’t like that, but they couldn’t argue with it.

1 Like

Are you upset that they are changing the auction scene from the Pirates of the Caribbean ride?

4 Likes

Terrorists, since they tend to have a well defined enemy, seem less likely to achieve universal cuteness (there were certainly historical trends in who got pirated and how intensely; but pirates are mostly associated with opportunistic looting of a poorly defined and apolitical mass of stuff, even though some of them were at least sometimes state agents); it’s easy to be relaxed about a half-formed vague impression of commercial shipping in the past, less easy to be relaxed about someone whose operation was quite specifically targeted at someone you might identify with.

(If you happen to agree with the terrorists, of course, no need to wait 200 years: various…tastefully elided…or just out and out dishonestly hagiographic, depictions of your favorite militants tend to be available before the shooting has even stopped.)

2 Likes

LOL. So eventually they will do their own remake of The Sound of Music, and we will have dancing Nazis prancing around Disneyland singing show tunes?

1 Like

9 Likes

If it’s a gender thing, surely they could’ve tossed in a flock of cabin boys to balance it.

5 Likes

Well, he does have “a woman’s hand.”

2 Likes

Pirates were (and remain) primarily profit-driven. They were violent criminals but they didn’t kill for the sake of killing, the whole point of all those scary pirate flags was to convince other ships to surrender and turn over their cargoes so they wouldn’t get killed.

A better analogy might be 19th Century bandits and stagecoach robbers (who are now romanticized in a similar manner as pirates) or possibly modern-day carjackers (not yet a romanticized bit of pop culture but maybe they will be in another century or so?)

7 Likes

Are ya charging by the pound?!?

I agree 100% that slavery and sexism are 100% always bad. However, I have a question: The attraction presumably (I’ve never seen it) and if not the attraction then general pirate-based entertainment makes equal light of murder. Yet, this is not a problem.

I can never understand why.

I’m not doing this to score a rhetorical point. There isn’t one. I really don’t understand why. It feels different to me too, but I can’t figure out why.

6 Likes

Sure. And fine. My whole point is that these are people who routinely kill innocents. The motivation probably doesn’t matter to the dead people. To quote Marissa Tomei in ‘My Cousin Vinnie’, “Would you care what pants the SOB who shot you was wearing?”