Disneyland Evil Queen slays it

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/14/disneyland-evil-queen-slays-it.html

8 Likes

I want to imagine she never breaks character, even when home talking with the roommates about the rent being past due.

24 Likes

This is awesome. She owns and understands the character. She is the Wicked Queen!

That’s the daytime talk show host we need. Somebody more narcissistic and demanding than the worst celebrities and politicians that rise to the top. I’d watch a show with this particular actor playing this character grilling guests. And no matter how over the top this actor played her part as she interviewed guests, the nightly news would find somebody in real life more entitled, more indigent, more narcissistic, and demanding than her portrayal of Wicked Queen.

[Edited to add emphasis.]

16 Likes

ref

46 Likes

Of all the Disney villains she may be the one who had the most poorly conceived evil scheme.

Queen: NOW am I the most beautiful of them all?

Magic Mirror: You really didn’t think this through, did you?

9 Likes

But that face! That face! The face that launched a thousand shits.

Ursula was always my favorite. You know she didn’t need anyone else to tell her she was the hottest thing around.

20 Likes

Aren’t we all?

3 Likes

I really don’t understand why people who support liberal causes also buy into the Disney corporate spell, they exploit their workers and use all the practices we shouldn’t support. Sure they’re at the forefront of art, technology, and entertainment. But we shouldn’t buy into that and support them with our money.

/posted from my iphone.

9 Likes

Trying to understand others should be a hallmark of liberalism.

6 Likes

Ursula seems to have been partly inspired by Divine:

7 Likes

Maybe more than “partly.”

13 Likes

I just want to take a moment to appreciate her makeup job. It is… perfect.

6 Likes

Honestly almost all of us support some aspect of a destructive industry. That cognitive dissonance is just part of the liberal experience IMO. I do what I can, but I still love things that are problematic. Hell, I love the arts, and all art that makes real money is tied to some kind of bloody enterprise I think. Whether it’s animation, games, music, fine art, industrial design, architecture, almost none of it can truly be spotlessly enjoyed with a clean conscience. Where I may draw the line may be the very place where some one else is desperately trying to believe that there can be some kind of change that at least improves the situation. Who am I really to judge? I just believe that if enough of us really try to influence things for the better it will at least make things less bad. But again, that’s just how I cope with my own dissonance. I, personally, do have issues with Disney but I don’t necessarily think that people who love Disney are being non-liberal. They likely think that there’s a way to save what they love about Disney while discarding the bathwater… and if they want to make that their cause that’s fine for them I guess.

10 Likes

I figured that’s what he meant with (the presumably intentional)…

/now let me go pull this plank from my own eye

9 Likes

You might appreciate this interview with Abigail Disney.

1 Like

She’s really good. A lot of them at the Parks are.

1 Like

And that is why I check my apples for puncture marks.

2 Likes

Growing up outside of Tampa, I had friends that lived 1/2 way between Tampa and Orlando so some of my buddies worked at Disney. They put out a document every year showing the required physical characteristics (height, weight, hair color, etc) to play each character, and it was hilarious. They were some of the top-paying entry level jobs at the park so highly coveted.

I was a tall, skinny dude so the only options for me according to the specs would have been Goofy or Roger Rabbit. 100 degrees in a used full-on felt costume? No thanks :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I think they had the right tone with the first wicked queen

1 Like