Diver nearly swallowed by humpback whale

mouthed? gummed? licked?

5 Likes

This video makes the thing seem plausible.

3 Likes

Being the foreign object that a large animal choked to death on wouldn’t be a fun experience either.

10 Likes

Fortunately, whales don’t breathe through the mouth, so choking seems unlikely.

2 Likes

Can’t Heimlich a whale!

2 Likes

But it’s a fish story (or at least a fish-like mammal story). You can’t have a fish story without at least some embellishment :wink:

5 Likes

Plausible? Heck, I see it happen every day at work.

A while back I realized that there are three separate Disneyland rides within a short walk from each other where you either get swallowed by a whale (Storybook Land Canal Boats, Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage) or almost get swallowed (Pinocchio’s daring journey.) There’s got to be some deeper significance to that but I don’t know what.

7 Likes

4 Likes

I wanted to be friends with this man… until I realized all his friends die horrible deaths while he just keeps carrying on.

He needs to find safer lines of work.

5 Likes

I read that as “Pinocchio’s dating journey,” and that’s a ride I’d like to see.

2 Likes
2 Likes

That’s the one where he goes full circle from wishing to be a real boy to wishing to be a real man back to wishing he was made of wood.

1 Like

It might not die from asphyxiation but the diver could obstructed food from getting to the whale’s stomach. Is that choking or is there another term for it?

1 Like

Reminds me of a t shirt with a dragon and a plate full of empty armor with a screwdriver and a pair of plies nearby captioned
“So good to eat, So hard to peel”

He should change his name to Ambergris.

1 Like

since this sort of near-death thing has happened to him twice now, if i was this guy i’d have a standard response in my back pocket, just to yank on the media’s chain a bit in case such a thing happens again. instead of saying “…and i thought, ‘oh my god, this is it, i’m gonna die,’” i’d say something like, “…and i thought, 'i can’t believe it – that fortune teller was RIGHT!” haha

Wrong kind of whale for that name, unfortunately.

2 Likes

I think the deeper significance is that Disney steal/ appropriate/ get inspired by folk tales and this is a common motif in several of them. Probably they all go back to some sort of urtext lost in the mists of time that the Jonah story is also based on…

1 Like

Dude, but what if time is circular, and all the stories go back to this one?
:exploding_head:

2 Likes

2 Likes