DIY pole-climbing shoes work like magic

Looks way more comfortable than climbing spikes, those things tend to dig into your shins, even with lots of padding. And for trees, something like this would be kinder on the bark. I would still use a harness with a rope around my waist, though, and probably something a little more bootlike.

1 Like

Safety equipment? Sorted…

(probably nsfw :stuck_out_tongue: )

2 Likes

Yeah, it looks like pre-cast concrete, so it is probably more consistently sized than the creosote soaked poles prevalent in the US.

1 Like

Re: Jugaad
Now, I appreciate a good workaround or hack that gets the job done without a fuss. On the other hand…
From the linked piece on Jimbopedia: Nuclear power corporation of India has recognized the word “JuGAAD” as the abbreviation of “Justified Guideline to Achieve the Desired State”.

1 Like

Shouldn’t that be JuGADS? Colloquially referred to as Egads! :wink:

1 Like

I prefer my Klein tree spurs because I can get up trees that have branches as well as poles that don’t.

1 Like

The angle this is filmed at makes it look much more useful than it actually is. You’ll notice that the thickness of the structure he’s climbing is ~4", or roughly the width of the shoes. But if you look at how close the tolerances are there, and how he moves one foot above the other, there’s no way that the shoes can overlap, so if he were actually climbing a “pole” (i.e. a structure of circular/square cross-section), he’d have to completely disengage each shoe off to the side with each step. Clearly, this guy is climbing a thick PANEL of some sort, which the shoes are definitely still good at, but the concept is not nearly as useful as the title would have us believe.

Oh yeah, I’m sure every language and culture has a word for it. If you really boil it down, it’s basically just being human. You’ve gotta have some kind of trick to survive, maybe you’re big and powerful like a lion or a gorilla, maybe you’re fast, or venomous like a snake, but not humans. All we got was big brains and the ability to run really long distances. Solving problems with whatever’s around is basically human-ing 101, and it’s an exhibition of why we are what we are.

2 Likes

Definitely tailored to the concrete poles there. Not applicable to round poles or wooden poles or many other things that one could want to climb.

I’d say it’s SUPER-useful to the guy shown using them. I’m guessing that he wouldn’t have made them if he didn’t need to climb this pole (or panel) frequently, or have many such poles (panels) to climb as, say, part of his job. I’d say it’s the headline that isn’t so useful in telling the story. Edit—I take that back. The headline is fine. I’d say the issue is more with the expectations we may have formed in our minds, that it’s somehow going to be all about us—and how useful they will be to us . Upon reflection, I’d say that those

DIY pole-climbing shoes

do indeed

work like magic

:slightly_smiling_face:

Still, I love learning how other people have solved problems. I might not ever have the identical problem, but it gives ideas to store away, that might suggest a solution for something similar in the future. :smiley:

even if they don’t overlap and it’s a round pole, it’s still a good idea. my consideration is that rebar bends instead of breaks, but if it bends it won’t grip. I guess he can slide down instead of fall. Guys in Samoa use rope ties around their ankles and bare feet for gripping.

1 Like

These strongly remind me of the DIY shoes that help people with Parkinson’s disease who suffer from freezing of gait.

(You attach L-shaped bars to the shoes so your loved one can step over them one at a time, when they might otherwise be stuck struggling fruitlessly in place until they collapsed from exhaustion.)

1 Like

BUT U GUIS!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.