Crocs no longer making Crocs

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/13/crocs-no-longer-making-crocs.html

4 Likes
DIY pole-climbing shoes work like magic

An era has passed.

4 Likes

“In connection with ongoing efforts to simplify the business and improve profitability, during the second quarter, the company closed its manufacturing has decided to stop making anything."

10 Likes

Ah, but will they continue to design things? Like the back of iPods used to say: “Designed by Apple in California”, perhaps to district from the fact that they no longer manufactured anything.

6 Likes

I can only think of one use for Crocs: When you don’t feel like buying a pair of fishing waders.

They are, of course, rather less fashionable than fishing waders.

9 Likes

I love my crocs, mostly. it isn’t the ugly that gets me, I like the hideous utilitarianness of them. But rather, somehow the ball of my foot has a tendency to catch on waxed floors. It could be my stride, but they’ve almost killed me on a couple occasions.

6 Likes

Difficult Truths?

3 Likes

I wear Crocs at work. I have a standing desk that I stand at for half the day (I lower it after lunch) and Crocs are my favorite shoes for using at that desk.

Even in the afternoon, I like to not have shoes on, so I have my crocs there for when I need to leave my office and want to slip into something with minimal fuss.

3 Likes

Flip Flops, if allowed at the office. They aren’t allowed at mine by management, although Crocs are a very engineer-type workaround to that rule. And I suspect would be banned if someone tried to pull that workaround.

5 Likes

I was in the same situation. Stopped when it became evident that wearing rubber shoes was leading to dangerous levels of static electricity…

3 Likes

I vaguely recall a joke about Crocs serving as a form of contraception…

3 Likes

My Crocs:

9 Likes

Whew. I made it through this fashion crisis. And not once did I wake up with a pair of these on my feet without knowing where they came from only to concede ”Well…I suppose they are comfortable…". (Which is what I assume happens to everyone who wears these).

4 Likes

12 Likes

13 Likes

Great. Get Native shoes instead. Or literally anything else.

Btw i did own a pair of crocs i used extensively. Mainly because i injured my foot and could not wear regular shoes for a few months, i like them for what they are but their look is definitely subpar.

2 Likes

9 Likes

Same! Man, the feel of a brand new pair of Crocs, still fluffy and unmashed from months of carting around my 300 lb ass, was bliss. Bliss I tell you! But more than once, after a scary slip, I envisioned meeting my end on our painted backyard stairs some wet morning. And yet, they were also dangerous on certain carpeted stairs as well. Maybe I just don’t maneuver stairs well? Whatever the case, it was a sad day when I made the conscious decision to throw them out as they had become too dangerous for my weird body.

3 Likes

Aye, there’s a certain bit of irony that shoes made specifically to be extra grippy on boats is notoriously lousy on wet surfaces. I also had some scary almost slips walking on wet ground a few times

3 Likes

Is this one of those “we’re shutting down our manufacturing in democracies to take better advantage of prison labor in totalitarian dictatorships” business strategies?

7 Likes