Django Unchained at 10: an observation and celebration of the first hour 

Originally published at: Django Unchained at 10: an observation and celebration of the first hour  | Boing Boing

3 Likes

It’s good analysis, and makes perfect sense. I first noticed his propensity to spin out two movies for the price of one with From Dusk 'til Dawn. That movie started out a deeply troubling criminal film of brooding psychological dread, and then… became a campy vampire schlock horror film? Like, total whiplash.

6 Likes

Yeah, was going to make the same point, although because it was the first time I’d experienced such a piece of cinema, I absolutely loved it and still do to this day. From Dusk 'til Dawn worked purely because of the crazy juxtaposition of its two halves.

Well, that and Salma Hayek / Tom Savini.

7 Likes

I’m a firm believer that Tarantino could do with a sympathetic editor to rein him in. I find that pretty all of his films contain at least 15 minutes of pure gold; smothered in 2 hours of padding.

2 Likes

Along with copious amounts of extraneous and frankly…unnecessary ‘ultraviolence’.

5 Likes

The old in and out? Real horrorshow.

5 Likes

that’s basically true romance, his best film imo

2 Likes

That is great fun. I also really enjoy Jackie Brown. My worst experience with Tarantino’s films was the UK release of “Death Proof”; where it was padded out to fill in for it being shown as a single film, instead of a double bill with “Planet Terror”. Gosh, that film dragged.

2 Likes

Yep. Ultra, and gratuitous.

It’s the main reason I don’t bother at all anymore with his movies. That and the rampant misogyny (Jackie Brown being one exception for the most part in that department).

2 Likes

Did you, perchance, pour yourself a tall glass of top shelf whiskey from the boingboing reserve before hitting the post button on this astute analysis?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.