DMV refused license to teen until he removed makeup

Pffft. You’re not gonna be buying any booze with THAT snide ID, Beschizza…

Continuing the discussion from DMV refused license to teen until he removed makeup:

I am not going to argue that what they did was correct. I will argue that this might not be outright bigotry and more of a misunderstanding of policy.

It absolutely makes sense that the DMV wants you to take a picture that looks “like you”. The point of a photo ID is rendered somewhat moot if we all get to wear fake noses and sunglasses.

The DMV agent may have thought that the young person was purposefully attempting to disguise. That may not be true, but I am willing to at least entertain the notion that the DMV agent wasn’t trying to be a dickhead to a transgendered person and was rather trying to prevent teenage shenanigans.

In other words: Not bigotry, just ignorance.

2 Likes

The DMV spokesperson said, “He’s male, he needs to look like a male.”

That’s ignorant and bigoted, which is not exactly an unusual combination.

(Your Topic is an absurd false dichotomy, which is pretty darned ironic, considering.)

8 Likes

The point of the photo is to look like the person being pulled over. So the no-makeup requirement is clearly contrary to the ostensible purpose of the “no misrepresentation” requirement, because a photo of the boy in makeup is the most accurate representation of a boy who habitually wears makeup.

So, unless he walked in as Pennywise the clown, this is indeed a case of HITLER.

9 Likes

That’s a bigoted person using their platform at the DMV to screw someone over. I got my driver’s license in the early 90’s with giant dread extensions in rainbow colors, and contacts with one eye green and one blue. I had a thing for Sandman’s Delerium at the time, don’t judge me! Anyways, the DMV folks were totally cool with it. Nobody even looked at me twice. Could be a Pacific NW thing, though.

4 Likes

A couple of days ago I chanced across this article

Why Red Carpet Makeup loks Bad in Real Life

Makeup works with light. For me, I can contour in a photo shoot, because I know the light is going to be controlled. Contouring for every day just isn’t realistic unless you are Kim Kardashian and can hire people to follow you around, like a camera crew with a light. But light conditions change throughout the day. I was at the doctor’s office the other day, and the nurse knows what I do for work. She was asking me, “What contouring palette should I get?” And I was like, “Are you going to do it here in the fluorescent light or at night?” That’s the craze right now. You see contour on the subway or at McDonald’s. It just doesn’t work. Just as you’re not going to wear stilettos to the beach (unless maybe you are on a TV show), it’s the same with makeup. In real life, if you walk around with too much contour, it will cast a shadow under your eyes. Too much white concealer under the eyes is too bright, although it’s meant to be correcting. You can’t just give yourself a new face. People start to expect too much of makeup.

But the DMV is pretty controlled in terms of lighting-- bad lighting, but still, controlled bad lighting. Perhaps there’s a way to exploit that for Drivers License photos.

Judge you?

I judge you to be AWESOME! (though it was always a bit of a toss up between Del and Death for me)

1 Like

I actually did see a makeup artist’s tutorial that was designed specifically for bad office lighting. I’ll see if I can dig it up. Hmmm…am finding things when I Google but not the one I was looking at. Was some big name makeup artist my neighbor (who is a makeup artist) was telling me about.

Those are my two favorites in the whole series.

I wonder how they would deal with this if he identified as female, and had changed his name to a traditionally female name. I’m sure there are trans women in South Carolina who haven’t had surgery, and so are still legally male. Do they make them present male for their DL photos?

1 Like

I see what you did there.

Bigotry is born from ignorance.

One of my sisters shaves her head. She’s yet to get a driver’s license even though she’s 20, but I wonder if this is going to be an issue for her.

My first driver’s license was taking with lighting so bad it looked like I had a beard. For later ones, I actually have had a beard, but the first one was just shadows from inappropriately placed light sources.

I didn’t mean to imply he was wearing glam makeup.

I was replying to gadetggirl02:

That was pretty conservative as makeup goes. How would they react to a girl who showed up in heavy eye makeup that hid her facial features?

So, in the event that a girl (or a woman or man) showed up in heavy eye makeup that hid her (his) facial features, I believe there are guidelines in place. I also made no comment on whether those guidelines are justifiable or not.

Sorry if that seems concern-trolley to you. I was replying in good faith and I didn’t think it could be taken as otherwise.

Here’s something I randomly found from another post courtesy @beschizza. Double checked it, and it looks like it’s a valid story. His religious headwear got him in hot water.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.