Do not burn old flashlight batteries

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/03/11/do-not-burn-old-flashlight-bat.html

7 Likes

Probably wasn’t the best advice even then but perhaps marginally better for the environment than landfill.

5 Likes

Burning NiCad batteries are environmentally regrettable. Burning LiPo batteries are “get a new house”.

We’re pushing the limits of battery tech. Don’t fuck around with them.

19 Likes

agreed, the new ones, especially LiPo are so much more exciting

2 Likes

Well that seals it then, this Radio Shack Battery Club card is totally useless if I can’t even burn these crappy carbon batteries in the fire!

10 Likes

See, now I want to go and test that.

16 Likes

Keep a bucket of sand handy. Not child-safe toys.

10 Likes

And this is why God invented YouTube.

8 Likes
1 Like

But how will I keep my home shipshape?

2 Likes

7 Likes

Eugh. “May help prevent soot formation”. How wishy-washy. I hope Popular Science rose above such frippery.

1 Like

My father always used to pull apart old zinc-carbon batteries, and put the zinc and carbon on the coal fire. He did it to avoid having to sweep the chimney. I can’t see how such a tiny amount of material could clean a whole chimney, and he was a scientist, so I doubt if it convinced him either. We usually burned phurnacite which was not supposed to give as much soot anyhow. I cannot remember our chimney ever being swept.

3 Likes

Do not burn old flashlight batteries

Don’t tell me what to do

/explosion

2 Likes

Can we get an “oddlyspecificadmonishments” tag for future posts?

3 Likes

I kept my LiPos in a little besa block house in the shed, with a single tile roof.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.