Do not put headphones on the Buddha in Burma, unless you enjoy meditating in prison

To add a little context, Buddha Bar is a restaurant/music enterprise that has been putting out a world famous compilation of chill/electronic/ambient/lounge music every year since 1996, so maybe that’s just what kind of music they wanted to play…also try googling images for “buddha headphone”…they weren’t doing anything new.

1 Like

FTFY. Imprisonment for art and speech is barbaric and unacceptable. (No matter how offensive).

4 Likes

These all sound like rotten problems that have more to do with the Burmese governance, rather than some small time party organiser. These issues I find terrible.
Insulting deities, not so much.
Parties, even less so.
Shitty graphics, hang 'em.

Popular philosophy becomes religion, and it all goes downhill from there.

Andres Serrano better never open a studio in Burma.

Two of the three people arrested are Burmese. I think they know their own culture.

1 Like

I love it when some says

My first comment ever on BoingBoing. Have enjoyed reading, especially the comments, for years.

while posting something interesting which adds to the conversation instead of just driving trollies. Welcome!

From your mouth to God’s ears! (as the expression goes)

Thanks so much, chgoliz!

1 Like

Re: FTFY
Nope, still broken. They were doing something wrong. It’s not something that should be punished by a government, but it’s still offensive behaviour, and they shouldn’t have done it. But the right thing would have been for their neighbors to tell them they’re offended, and nobody gets beat up in the process (yeah, good luck with that, I know.)

Since when is making fun of a public persona, whether real or imaginary, considered “wrong”?

…and from what I heard about Buddha, he’d likely laugh at the poster.

Depending on the person, a depressingly long time. I’m not convinced that they are making fun of him anyway, they’re just suggesting that their music is really relaxing.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.