Do the Star Wars sway to this 1977 country song, "May the Force Be With You Always"

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/03/22/do-the-star-wars-sway-to-this.html

1 Like

This is a really strange song for me to listen to. I can’t decide if he was pandering when he made this song or if it’s genuine. But at least we got a country SW song.

5 Likes

May the force be with you always sweetheart

Might twangy, but nice.

2 Likes

His dark forces were Jesus and Jack.

2 Likes

Godfather of Filk!

2 Likes

Biff Tannen?

Tom T Hall is the man. He’s written around a dozen #1 hits, including Harper Valley PTA. My personal faves are Faster Horses, I Love, The Year Clayton Delaney Died, Watermelon Wine and Country Is.

4 Likes

I prefer the Alec Guinness version.

1 Like

Country music isn’t my cup of tea (although I do enjoy some cross-over tunes), but this song comes off as sophisticated compared to the infamous Star Wars Christmas Special.

1 Like

When I was a kid I swear I heard Tom T. Hall’s “Sneaky Snake” a hundred times–he even appeared in a commercial for a nearby zoo and mentioned “sneaky snakes” as one of the attractions. The adults never thought to put this song on for us.

2 Likes

The 70’s were a very sincere time for country music and for music in general.

3 Likes

He also wrote this tune that Kottke made his own:

And you know this one, from his album “Songs Of Fox Hollow”, I was obsessed with this song for a while:

2 Likes

40 years later I still get bits of that song running through my mind from time to time.

1 Like

I’ve always had this irrational hatred of Tom T Hall. I’ve never been able to put my finger on it. The slimy Vegas lounge act vibe? The hokey collection of cliches in his lyrics? The teeth?

Ugh!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.