Do you have a 'long stabby thing' next to the bed just in case someone breaks in?

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/06/15/do-you-have-a-long-stabby-th.html

4 Likes

Is that what the kids are calling it these days?

19 Likes

Long stabby things can get the job done, but many of us actually prefer a short shooty thing.

24 Likes

Damn it… all I have is a below average blunt instrument… :frowning:

Wait - what are we talking about again?

21 Likes

Are intruders afraid of silicone?

20 Likes

I came for the dick jokes, and was not disappointed.

19 Likes

I don’t know if I’d call it stabby, but I do have a fireplace poker (which has never seen a fireplace) under the edge of my bed. It gives me a reach advantage over a knife or most other things, it can be swung as well as jabbed, with a hook for extra utility. It’s also easy to find a good one for short money, and nobody looks at you funny when you buy it. It’s certainly not the be-all and end-all of home defense, but it’s a pretty good value.

9 Likes

…but the recoil tho…

6 Likes

It’s a … medium slashy thing.

15 Likes

The reach advantage is why I have a baseball bat, with a much shorter backup in case nothing alerts me before an intruder gets close.

6 Likes

I have a dog, who counts for a dozen or so small stabby things.

25 Likes

Apparently so!

6 Likes

Leave it to @beschizza to slip in a Wittgenstein joke… Although if I recall correctly, the poker was wielded by the positivist (if either of them can be described as such).

15 Likes

slip in

13 Likes

How about an Inuit sculpture?

5 Likes

I used to sleep with an adjustable spanner under my pillow during the year before I left Carlisle. It’s not a situation I want to go back to.

13 Likes

Reminds me of Lord Russell’s “stabber’s paradox”:

If the stabber is the person who stabs all those – and only those – who do not stab themselves, then does the stabber stab himself?

4 Likes

Well, we have a long blasty thing that we keep under the bed. A shotgun.

I suppose one of these days we’ll have to actually use it at least once to gain some experience. Finally buying the shells for it would help. Until then I can say we have a long clubby thing.

10 Likes

They were making dick jokes in their heads in the video after the woman said that her husband was her long stabby thing, it’s inevitable; it brought the guy who started the segment to tears.

7 Likes

You know, if you get a bayonet, you can have thing that is both stabby and blasty. And there are shotguns with bayonet mounts on them.

7 Likes